Brand New Es330 Cold Starting?

I have a brand new (week old) 2006 ES330. Sometimes it cranks for a while (.5 to 1.5 sec.) before starting! I took it to the dealer, but they don't experience the problem so they can't do anything about it. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Based on your description, sounds fairly normal to me........best suggestion I have is if you think there is a problem, leave the car with the dealer (get a loaner) overnight & have them fire the car up when it's cold out the next morning. ;)

:cheers:

Based on your description, sounds fairly normal to me........best suggestion I have is if you think there is a problem, leave the car with the dealer (get a loaner) overnight & have them fire the car up when it's cold out the next morning. ;)

THXS!

I have a brand new (week old) 2006 ES330. Sometimes it cranks for a while (.5 to 1.5 sec.) before starting! I took it to the dealer, but they don't experience the problem so they can't do anything about it. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Hmmmm....

A half-second to a second and a half hardly seems like a long time to me, especially if the car is cold. I never really timed it, but my '05 ES with 9K miles starts within 2 seconds when cold and it never occured to me that anything could be wrong. It starts every morning and runs well. No complaints from me!!

I dunno but I heard Toyota/Lexus had a different type of ignition system that takes a little longer than most cars...I'm not sure if that is true but somebody told me that when explaining why it takes a little longer than an average car.

I've noticed it a bit, but it fires up nice and strong everytime and runs great.

I don't think there is a timer.

It's normally nothing more than however long it takes for the engine to hit (It use to be a minimum of 400rpm) + get a consistent (enough so it can decide where it is in the rotation cycle) crank position & cam position sensors. At some point they begin dumping in fuel & at some later point they fire the plugs.

With start-up emessions & all, the OEM's just can't afford to pump fuel in as soon as it turns over & start sparking ASAP like they could along time ago. They gotta wait till they're pretty dang sure if they squirt the fuel, it'll get combusted OK.

I don't think there is a problem, but I've never slept with an '06 before.

A problem starting is like my F150.

They are notorious for having the crank position sensor get dirty, or get loose. Which gives the ECU a hard time to pick-up a consistent signal. That translates into sometimes it make crank in a second, second & a half, and sometimes it'll take 3-4 seconds of turning to crank. Simply because it can't figure out how fast the crankshaft is turning over, so it can't decide when to inject fuel & when to fire the plugs.

Domestic trucks are "the gaaay". It's just too bad you can buy a turbo diesel domestic truck for what an import one costs. :'(

• 2 weeks later...

Once u turn on the key the car is dignosing itself if there was a problem the check engine light would appear on maybe your its very cold where u live. I remember changing a starter for a toyota and for the same car there was two different starters one warm conditions one and one cold the cold one just has more windings which allows more amperage to allow a quicker start i am not sure if this applies for ur case tho.

Sonic,

When you start the car.......do you turn the key & fire up the car immediately, or do you turn the key to the point where all dash lights come on & wait a couple of seconds (during that time you should hear some faint noises under the hood) & then start the car? The ladder is the perfered way of doing things as this pretty much 'primes' & readies things before start up. B)