Traction Control And Check Engine Light "on"

superk13

My 99 RX300 has 132K miles and has been well serviced. Recently I had my shop do a complete transmission fluid change which we have been doing every 15K. Picked the vehicle up and on the way home, after it was warmed up , I floored it to see if it shifted any better. It did but the traction control light and check engine light came on. I could not get the traction control light to switch off. If I restart the car it will stay off as long as I do not accerlerate hard, but the check engine light is always on. Prior to the service the transmission was a little sloppy but with no check lights on. Has anyone had this happen to them before or have any idea what the problem may be other than the fact that these transmissions are less than the best.

Go back to the shop and ask them what kind of fluid they put in your transmission. The Rx300 transmission calls for only Toyota IV fluid or equivalent, most shops don't carry it around.

Thanks for the suggestion but Toyota IV fluid was used so that is not my concern. There has to be something else going on.

Could be a lot of different things, like a sensor. The car is in limp mode right now. I've floored my car before and caused my CEL and TRAC OFF lights to come on and I only had to clean a sensor to fix it. When it happened to me, I thought it was a tranny problem too. Don't worry too much. Good luck.

I had the same problem (Traction and CEL on) at 95k miles. It turned out to be Bank 1 Sensor 1 and cost me $300 to replace it at an independent shop. Do a little search on this forum and you will see a lot of related posts.

But take it to Autozone to check out the codes first though!

I hate to come across as saying cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensor is a miracle cure and fixall, but that could be the problem. When I bought my car used with 50K miles, the cel and trac off light kept coming on and it really freaked me out. I was worried that the car was junk. I took it to lexus and on the way the overdrive went out (limp mode). The replaced both knock sensors at a tune of $800. On the way home it went back on. I had it checked locally and it was bank one sensor one. It was reset. The cel would continue to turn on when I accelerated heavily, especially uphill. I finally found a post about the sensor and cleaned it. No trouble since. It is just such an easy item to troubleshoot before spending cash. Just unscrew the sensor, unplug it, and clean it with a q-tip and cleaner. Total cost=1/1000th of a dollar, or whatever a q-tip cost. Trouble codes just don't always point to exactly what the problem is. Not trying to be longwinded, but I'm sure that you like money in your pocket as much as I do. Good luck man.

There is another easy fix you may want to check before you bother to have codes read. Did the shop check the engine air filter when it was in for service? If so, It's almost guaranteed they pulled off the evap hose when they lifted up the top of the air filter box to check the filter. The hose is behind the box directly under the brake fluid container and connects to a metal tube below. The hose can come off the metal tube below.