2000 Es300 Problems, Cel, Sludge, Trac Off, Codes

Hello all, This is my first post here on this board, and I need some help.

The car is actually my brother in laws, trying to help him out.

First, the car -- It's a 2000 ES300, w/ 50k miles, oil changed bout every 5k miles w/ recipts, bought new here in dallas, tx. The car definatly has a sludge problem, pulled the oil cap and it looks like there is sand in the oil. Its bad. Unfortunatly Lexus will not do anything to fix it, contacted corp and everything. Oh well, onward.

Engine has been flushed repeatly by a local shop after problem was discovered. Also I added some valve and ring sealer to oil because it was burning oil, a lot of oil. Also the CEL and TRAC OFF lights have come on, also the car's feels like its surging.

I though it was fouled plugs from burning oil, so I swaped the plugs, inspecting the old plugs I realised that the oil was being burned in the #2 (I think, pass side of car, front) cylinder, plug doused in oil, and chunks of valve seal (i think at least) in the cylinder. disconnected the battery for 30min to reset the ecu and starter her up, in bout 5 min the cel and trac lights came back on.

Fast forward a month, problem still exists, car has been driven very infrequently, and for short distances, it no longer smokes, however the cel and trac lights are still on (cel intermittant, but usually on) and still surges, took it to autozone and had them read the codes, got a P0300, P0301, and P0302. Being that changing the plugs before did not help it, Im shying away from replacing the plugs again just yet. Checked vacuum lines. And will check coil pacs next.

Any other advice?

Engine has been flushed repeatly by a local shop after problem was discovered. Also I added some valve and ring sealer to oil because it was burning oil, a lot of oil. Also the CEL and TRAC OFF lights have come on, also the car's feels like its surging.

I'd tell you to go get some high qualiy Kerosene, or Diesel fuel, put a quart in on top of the oil. Let it idle 10min & dump all of it out. But I'd have to think hard about that on something that's having sealing problems. (It thins the oil out alot.)

I though it was fouled plugs from burning oil, so I swaped the plugs, inspecting the old plugs I realised that the oil was being burned in the #2 (I think, pass side of car, front) cylinder, plug doused in oil, and chunks of valve seal (i think at least) in the cylinder.

Good job!

Fast forward a month, problem still exists, car has been driven very infrequently, and for short distances, it no longer smokes, however the cel and trac lights are still on (cel intermittant, but usually on) and still surges, took it to autozone and had them read the codes, got a P0300, P0301, and P0302. Being that changing the plugs before did not help it, Im shying away from replacing the plugs again just yet. Checked vacuum lines. And will check coil pacs next.

It's just the front bank. Take the plug out & see what this one is doing too. Front bank = 5-10min job. It's misfiring on cylinders 1 (P0301) & 2 (P0302) @ at the same rough amount of time (P0300).

If you need too, download the stickied 2001 ES 300 FSM. See the Diagnostic & Ignition pdf's.

Any other advice?

Start with the plugs & coil's.

What plugs did you use? If they're not NGK, or Denso. They'll likely eventually be giving him weak spark. I doubt this soon tho. (Unless it's something like a multi spark plug. Yicky!)

Check the wiring (Do not replace with cheap generic wiring).

Anything can happen, but I doubt it's the coils. It's a COP (Coil-On-Plug) so it has 6 individual coils. Fairly tall odds of two coils going out at the same time on different banks. Anything can happen...

Check the compression / cylinder leak down test while the engine is warm. He may have blown it up (rings) & he's getting so much oil in some of the combustion chambers he's mis-firing.

Seems like you're on the right track so far. Just keep ruling things in & out.

btw he blew chunks off a valve stem seal in 50,000 miles? What the hell kinda oil is he using!? I've been trying to get an Astroglide sponsorship of a 1 gallon jug to use on the Civic for years now to prove it really is "second only to nature". I didn't think someone would beat me too it! DAMN!

Juuust kidding.

50k miles, oil changed bout every 5k miles w/ recipts, bought new here in dallas, tx. The car definatly has a sludge problem, pulled the oil cap and it looks like there is sand in the oil. Its bad. Unfortunatly Lexus will not do anything to fix it,
What exactly did the Lexus dealer say? What was the maximum amount of time and miles that ever elapsed between an oil change?

I have a 2000 ES also and had a question:

I had the warranty service done on my car for the sludge and now I go through oil ALL THE TIME. There is no smoke coming out of the tail pipe and none in the driveway. Any advice to find out where the oil is disappearing too? I've had Lexus look at it but they won't warranty the work they previously had done because it's been over a year...and now I am constantly having to put oil in, about once a month...and it is almost completely empty (several quarts at a time). Help me!?

WOW, I pulled the front valve cover to check the valves....... holy crap now I know what sludge is. I tryed to clean as much out as I could.... Had to use a frigging spoon!!! :blink:

Another question how are the cylinders numbered?

I took some pics, I'll post em up when I get a chance. I am shocked.

I'd tell you to go get some high qualiy Kerosene, or Diesel fuel, put a quart in on top of the oil. Let it idle 10min & dump all of it out. But I'd have to think hard about that on something that's having sealing problems. (It thins the oil out alot.)

I may try that.... probably cannot hurt after what I found in that cylinder head....

Start with the plugs & coil's.

What plugs did you use? If they're not NGK, or Denso. They'll likely eventually be giving him weak spark. I doubt this soon tho. (Unless it's something like a multi spark plug. Yicky!)

Check the wiring (Do not replace with cheap generic wiring).

Anything can happen, but I doubt it's the coils. It's a COP (Coil-On-Plug) so it has 6 individual coils. Fairly tall odds of two coils going out at the same time on different banks. Anything can happen...

Check the compression / cylinder leak down test while the engine is warm. He may have blown it up (rings) & he's getting so much oil in some of the combustion chambers he's mis-firing.

Seems like you're on the right track so far. Just keep ruling things in & out.

Always NGK's :D only difference is that I had bought the platnum's instead of the iridum(sp) plugs.... it shouldn't make a difference in this case. Wish I had bouight the coppers instead. easier to read and can swap em every week with out feeling it in your wallet.

As for the coil packs, I am familiar with them, (my 240sx w/ sr20det uses the same system). What I tried was swaping the coil packs with other cylinders and then getting the codes read again, so different plugs and different coil packs, same codes... next I'll test the wires for a good signal geting to the coils.

btw he blew chunks off a valve stem seal in 50,000 miles? What the hell kinda oil is he using!? I've been trying to get an Astroglide sponsorship of a 1 gallon jug to use on the Civic for years now to prove it really is "second only to nature". I didn't think someone would beat me too it! DAMN!

Juuust kidding.

Firestone special basic oil probably, knowing him.

What exactly did the Lexus dealer say? What was the maximum amount of time and miles that ever elapsed between an oil change?

I have not looked at the recipts myself, knowing him and his habits he probably erred on the side of lazyness, so probalby twice a year, maybe 3 times/yr but still the car only has 49,767 miles on it, so from 2000 to now....

and from what he told me lexus told him he was SOL, thats corp and the local stealership.

I dont understand, the warranty should still cover that with that oil change regiment. I would elevate it to the state you live in and get a copy of the sludge warranty that Lexus sent out. It was for 8 years, but I cannot remember the mileage limitations.

I found the letter, It covers the vehicle for eight years and unlimited mileage from the date of first sale.It required only proof of regular oil changes (quote: you show a reasonable effort to regulary maintain your vehicle.)

• 2 months later...

Hello all, This is my first post here on this board, and I need some help.

The car is actually my brother in laws, trying to help him out.

First, the car -- It's a 2000 ES300, w/ 50k miles, oil changed bout every 5k miles w/ recipts, bought new here in dallas, tx. The car definatly has a sludge problem, pulled the oil cap and it looks like there is sand in the oil. Its bad. Unfortunatly Lexus will not do anything to fix it, contacted corp and everything. Oh well, onward.

I though it was fouled plugs from burning oil, so I swaped the plugs, inspecting the old plugs I realised that the oil was being burned in the #2 (I think, pass side of car, front) cylinder, plug doused in oil, and chunks of valve seal (i think at least) in the cylinder. disconnected the battery for 30min to reset the ecu and starter her up, in bout 5 min the cel and trac lights came back on.

Any other advice?

Hi I also have a 2000 ES300. Just got a check engine light and trac off. My code were P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1) The mechanic said stop buying cheap gas from COSTCO and suggest gas additive treatment into my gas tank. Chevron or shells gas station 91 premium grade only, he also adjusted the air and gas mixture screw. Throttle body need to stay clean too. This car comsume alot of gas 19 miles to the gal combine city and highway driving. Have found any solution to the oil surges?

Lexlogic

According to the 2000-2001 ES300 repair manual, here are the trouble areas for the P0171 error code:

- air induction system

- fuel injector blockage

- MAF meter

- engine coolant temp. sensor

- fuel pressure

- gas leak on exhaust system

- open or short in Bank 1, 2 Sensor 1 circuit

- ECM

For most people who encounter this particular error code, the problem lies in the pre-cat oxygen sensor. There are 2 sensors located before the catalytic converter, and either one or both of them could be delivering a bad circuit. You're going to have to get the resistances tested with a multimeter and see if the resistance meets spec. That's what I would do to determine the bad sensor. Or if you prefer, you can take your car to an independent service shop who is familiar with Lexus/Toyota vehicles and get the sensor(s) diagnosed. Hope this info helps out :)