03 Or 04?

mannye

I am currently in the market for a new (used) LS 430. I think they are the bargain of the century at the low to mid 30 mark I see a lot of 03 430s going for...

But I have a questions about the 3.5 generation (04 to present). Is it worth it to fork out the extra 5 grand to get an 04 model instead of an 03? I see the prices go into the high 30'w low 40s on those and I wonder why? What was the big difference between the two years?

I understand that most 04s are still under full warranty... but perhaps if the difference is that much between an 03 and an 04 I should wait a little and maybe get an 04 next year instead?

By the way...should change the SC 430 to LS 430...soon. Drove a bunch of SC 430s and decided to wait. Now, after spending some time driving a friends LS, I wouldn't get anything else! Simply IMO the best car out there for the money.

I am currently in the market for a new (used) LS 430. I think they are the bargain of the century at the low to mid 30 mark I see a lot of 03 430s going for...

But I have a questions about the 3.5 generation (04 to present). Is it worth it to fork out the extra 5 grand to get an 04 model instead of an 03? I see the prices go into the high 30'w low 40s on those and I wonder why? What was the big difference between the two years?

I understand that most 04s are still under full warranty... but perhaps if the difference is that much between an 03 and an 04 I should wait a little and maybe get an 04 next year instead?

By the way...should change the SC 430 to LS 430...soon. Drove a bunch of SC 430s and decided to wait. Now, after spending some time driving a friends LS, I wouldn't get anything else! Simply IMO the best car out there for the money.

Hi mannye,

The 2004's had a fair amount of new features: Bluetooth, Rear View Camera, Six Speed Transmission, Updated Nav System, Adaptive Headlights, upgraded ML Stereo, LED Tail lamps, Clutchless A/C System etc etc. It really is a nice car. The body was modestly restyled. The head lamps changed to give the car a more aggressive look. The hood, front fenders, and I believe the trunk are different. I personally believe that this restyle gave the car an edge that it was lacking from 01-03. Also 18" tires/rims were common.

With the 2004 certain cars were recalled for replacement of the Transmission and Fuel Pump. Please make sure that this work has been completed on whatever 2004 you consider. We also had a 2002 LS430 and found that we definitely liked the new car a lot more. You might want to wait until the new LS460 comes out before you buy. The release of the new car will bring a flood of LS430's traded in, so prices will fall some more. Finally, most 2004's advertised in the Boston area are Certified, meaning it has an additional 3 yr 100K warranty.

With a LS430 you are getting the smoothest, quietest, comfortable, reliable car on the road period. You will be amazed with how well these cars hold up over the long term. I personally have a 1992 LS400 that was trouble free until very recently. (After all, even a 14 yr Rolls Royce would need some work). Whatever the LS430 lacks in "Soul" and "Driving Dynamics" it will make up for in the ownership experience.

Hope this helps,

Sam

I absolutely would pay the extra $5k to get a 04, if only for the styling changes let alone the additional content.

As for the difference in pricing, thats mainly because the 04 is still visibly identical to the current model, when the new LS460 comes out in the fall the price of the 04s will drop closer to the 03s.

I absolutely would pay the extra $5k to get a 04, if only for the styling changes let alone the additional content.

As for the difference in pricing, thats mainly because the 04 is still visibly identical to the current model, when the new LS460 comes out in the fall the price of the 04s will drop closer to the 03s.

Thanks to both of you! I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but now that you mentioned it, the 04s DO look different!

I think it would be prudent to wait a little bit and get an 04. I'm prone to keeping my cars for over 7 years (currently driving a 99 CRV) and looks like the 04s will have more "staying power" than the 03s for me. I'm especially glad to hear about the upgraded stereo!

When is the 460 hitting the street? Never mind... in the fall...lol

I agree with SW03ES and sv7887. Get the '04, or better yet, and '05. The '05 models didn't have the transmission issues that the '04s had (to my knowledge). But I guess as long as the recall work has been done, you're okay.

When I bought my LS, I was in the market for a '99 or '00 model. I wasn't able to find anything that had what I was looking for, so I started looking at Gen. 3 models. I ended up with an '03 that in my opinion was in pristine condition, with just under 37K miles. I paid $45 out the door, and it's a certified model. That was definitely the most that I could have/would have spent at the time, so an '04 (certified, at least) wasn't an option. My plan is to keep it for a few years and then trade it for either an '05 or '06 model.

The Gen 3.5 models are definitely more attractive than the Gen. 3. The headlights alone are a big improvement. And the wheels on the newer models are also much better.

The bottom line is, whichever you choose, you can't go wrong. They are both great cars.

Good luck!

Just a personal opinion, go for an 02-03 as they are great cars for the "value", you can go for an 04, not worth the tranny problems, price..or the depreciation when the 06 comes out. Basically, it all depends on your pocket book, street smarts and ego. Good luck in whatever you decide. All great cars.

Just a personal opinion, go for an 02-03 as they are great cars for the "value", you can go for an 04, not worth the tranny problems, price..or the depreciation when the 06 comes out. Basically, it all depends on your pocket book, street smarts and ego. Good luck in whatever you decide. All great cars.

Again, thanks a lot for the advice. Here's what I'm thinking...

Wait for the '07 to hit the streets and let all the early adopters shell out the bucks and trade the 04s and 05s in.. or better yet, sell them on thier own... (on a side note...if you buy a used car from a dealer, the Florida Lemon Law will not help you if the car turns out to be a problem, but if you buy from a private seller, you can still find help under the law if need be)

I don't want to pay more than 30ish, so an 05 will most likely be out of my range even later this year. But now that I know about the tranny issue, it's a simple question... (has the transmission work been done)

It would be interesting to note what percentage of 04 owners have come across this problem. Anyone know?

Wait for the '07 to hit the streets and let all the early adopters shell out the bucks and trade the 04s and 05s in.. or better yet, sell them on thier own... (on a side note...if you buy a used car from a dealer, the Florida Lemon Law will not help you if the car turns out to be a problem, but if you buy from a private seller, you can still find help under the law if need be)

I don't want to pay more than 30ish, so an 05 will most likely be out of my range even later this year. But now that I know about the tranny issue, it's a simple question... (has the transmission work been done)

It would be interesting to note what percentage of 04 owners have come across this problem. Anyone know?

You have a valid point and I'm not sure about the % of tranny problems..but waiting is a good option. Best of luck in whatever you choose and I'm sure you will make a wise decision.

Please explain about Florida lemon law. I was thinking about buying a car from a Florida dealer via Ebay.