Lexus Stalls Out

spikey

:cries:I have a 92ls400 with 233,000 miles on it. It has run smooth over the years..but I put in at least $2,000 dollars a year into the car. My car now stalls out if I do not keep my foot on the accelator..at least 1 rpm, or it will stall. WHERE DO I START? GAS FILTER, EGU, CENSORS, IDLE VALVE.. The car sounds fine,

when it is fully going...but my foot must be on the accelator..Any suggestions

:cries:I have a 92ls400 with 233,000 miles on it. It has run smooth over the years..but I put in at least $2,000 dollars a year into the car. My car now stalls out if I do not keep my foot on the accelator..at least 1 rpm, or it will stall. WHERE DO I START? GAS FILTER, EGU, CENSORS, IDLE VALVE.. The car sounds fine,

when it is fully going...but my foot must be on the accelator..Any suggestions

thanks will be taking car in next week..Lexus dealer thinks it is one the sensors..any other suggestions until

I take car in?

thanks will be taking car in next week..Lexus dealer thinks it is one the sensors..any other suggestions until

I take car in?

Get any fault codes stored on the ECU, they may give you an indication of the problem.

1) Clear the memory by pulling the 20amp efi fuse in the engine bay junction box (check under lid for position) for at least 10 seconds.

2) The 92 ECU has a super sensitive mode that is used for diagnosis, you simplay short together terminals TE2 and E1 in the TDCL diagnosis terminal in the footwell before starting up, go for a drive and it will store the codes from its analysis.

3) with ignition on you connect TE1 to E1 and any error codes will flash out on the check engine light in the combination meter. Count them, ie 2 flashes, pause, 5 flashes is error code 25. Sequence runs from small code numbers up, then repeats.

4) report back here with the codes! its an easy way to keep your lexus dealer honest too!

I take car in?

Get any fault codes stored on the ECU, they may give you an indication of the problem.

1) Clear the memory by pulling the 20amp efi fuse in the engine bay junction box (check under lid for position) for at least 10 seconds.

2) The 92 ECU has a super sensitive mode that is used for diagnosis, you simplay short together terminals TE2 and E1 in the TDCL diagnosis terminal in the footwell before starting up, go for a drive and it will store the codes from its analysis.

3) with ignition on you connect TE1 to E1 and any error codes will flash out on the check engine light in the combination meter. Count them, ie 2 flashes, pause, 5 flashes is error code 25. Sequence runs from small code numbers up, then repeats.

4) report back here with the codes! its an easy way to keep your lexus dealer honest too!

ok.. I will try ...before I go to the dealer...but looks fairly technical

ok.. I will try ...before I go to the dealer...but looks fairly technical

I thought that too until I did it, but it's real easy. You can get away with just doing step 3.

Just find the diagnosis terminal (either in the engine bay or the one in the footwell) and short together with a small loop of single core wire the TE1 and E1 connectors and the codes will start flashing, don't worry about the diagnosis step above, its not absolutely necessary.

The codes will keep flashing until you turn the ignition off, so as long as you are not photoepileptic you should be fine!

Give it a try!

Ummmm

i think you are jumping to conclusions leadfoot !

He never mentioned having a CEL on so reading the code flashes will provide no info for diagnostics.

How often and long do you have to keep your foot on the gas to keep it running?

Ummmm

He never mentioned having a CEL on so reading the code flashes will provide no info for diagnostics.

Absolutely true, but he did say that the dealer thought it was a sensor. The diagnostic mode in the ECU is more sensitive than the standard running condition (which has not shown a CEL) so might help determine which ones faulty, plus its a really easy thing to try, 5 minutes max.

Dealer will fix the problem, I just wanted to give the guy an easy route to maybe get some info to backup the dealers response.

Will be interesting to see the result, hopefully spikey will update!

• 3 weeks later...

Ummmm

Absolutely true, but he did say that the dealer thought it was a sensor. The diagnostic mode in the ECU is more sensitive than the standard running condition (which has not shown a CEL) so might help determine which ones faulty, plus its a really easy thing to try, 5 minutes max.

Dealer will fix the problem, I just wanted to give the guy an easy route to maybe get some info to backup the dealers response.

Will be interesting to see the result, hopefully spikey will update!

I went a purchased a new kia amanti...the lexus car sits in my garage...still have not done anything. I mentioned one of the 4 dealers that I taked too..mentioned the sensors. I have no idea...by the way the kia amanti is not a lexus....but it drives fairly close..and quiet and has 43.7 front leg room.

I would have gotten a Hyundai Sonata over the Kia

Seafoam the engine, clean the air mass flow sensor and the throttle body, then if it persist take it to the mechanic, check air filter, change fuel filter if never done it, it the air filter has over 30,000 miles change it also. Have qualified mechanic clean the IACV MOTOR. IF ALL THE ABOVE FAILS.

CPR