Transmission Leak Problem Diagnosis

bwilmoth

I have just gotten a diagnosis from lexus concerning my leaking transmission. They did a quick inspection while I was their and said they believe it was the front seal but would have to take it apart to be sure. The estimate to repair the seal would be $1500. Went to work with my loaner car. I got a call from them a couple of hours later saying I needed a new transmission cost $5200. Their explaination was the front seal apparently had blown out into my transmission fluid pump and was unrepairable. I would like to know from you guys does this scenario seem possible and am I doing the right thing having the tranny replaced verses attempting to rebuild. It just seems to me you could clean the seal out of the pump by flushing it and then put a new seal on and it would be fine. I had not noticed any performance issues with it other than the leak. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated. :cries:

I did some checking and found out the Lexus service dept will not break into a transmission to repair anything. Wish I new that before I went. Anyway my problem is I have a transmission pump problem as a result of a pieces of seal being in my pump. If I ask Lexus to put the trans back together like it was so I can take it to a transmission repair shop it will cost me $1240. The repair of the pump worst case could be $1580. A total transmission rebuild would be $3800. I am leaning towards just letting Lexus put the new transmission in. My reasoning is that the new transmission could be inproved over the old one as a result of reported problems and possible corrections by Lexus. If I repair the transmission pump the trans could have already been damaged as a result of the fluids leaking. The repairs could be done and a month later the trans goes out anyway. Is my reasoning pretty sound. :cries: :cries:

Honestly, if it were me, I'd just take the cheap route and put a new quart in every two weeks. 26 weeks a year x +-$3.00 a quart of ATF=about $78.00 a year. I'm just cheap like that though. I guess it all depends on factors like wether or not the vehicle is paid off, personal income, and leaving all of that oil on the ground. Good luck man!

Are you sure they are using a new transmission? Lexus usually uses a rebuilt one.

No I am not sure but they said it needed a new transmission. I am probably taking it in the shorts on that also. Thanks for rubbing salt in my wounds. :chairshot:

I have been there twice, I would have taken it to an independent tranny shop if I had it to do all over again. Lexus rips you, the independent shops quoted 2600 to 3000. KKKKKKKKKKKKKK I paid 4300. And yes they were rebuilts from Lexus.