Diff. Lube Change Ques.

Im getting ready to change the rear diff. lube and wondered if any odd size tools are needed.

I beleive a 10mm allen wrench, a rag, a jack, some music and a beer or two is in order, Always loosen the fill plug first then the drain plug, You will need to puimp the new fluid in so get a hand pump that fits the oil container. Good Luck :cheers:

• 1 month later...

:lol:

Why don't you share some of that spinach, Pop-eye? :D

All I am saying is that I did not need a breaker bar for mine..... :lol::lol::lol::cheers:

Hello: yes I use a 19 mm wrench over the allen wrench to increase the length. I also use the lube container twice, filling it from the second and third, (if nedded), slipping it past one of the braces that has to be moved by removing one bolt and tapping the brace out of the way. I change the lube every 30-45K. I also, (weird guy!! some say) change the trans every oil change. That is about two quarts every change, keeps the trans very happy. Also, I with a long clear plastic piece of tubing, suck the power steering fluid, drain it into a pan, suck some more till you are sucking air. fluid is same as trans, do this every oil change. It`s a quick operation and extends the life of all components of the P.S. system indefinitely. The P.S. system is just as important as any other with a closed lube system, re: engine oil, trans, diff. The powers that be, Lexus doesn`t want you to do too much preventive maint. `cause it cuts into their revenue stream. Good luck. I have a lot of information to share, just email. Lawrence.benz@att.net

I finally got the time to do the rear diff. lube change, very quick and easy, if I had it to do over I would check my large torx sockets before i ran out and bought a 10mm socket. My fluid looked like new with 118000 miles, but im sure money well spent. There is a nice magnet on the bottom plug mine was just covered with thin black dust. I defenately recommend a 1/2 drive adapter and rachet to go in the 3/8 socket, the bottom plug was very tight. ;)