Ls400 1990

moonh79

i have 1990 LS400 my motor went bad now i need new one but someone told me 1997 ls400 motor will fit in 1990ls 400 if anyone know something about this please help ...........

becz i since bought this car in oct of last year since then i spend over $2500.00 to fix it and now i have to spend another $1400.00 to fix it.............................help help

no the 97 will fit as long as it is a 1uz-fe but you'll have to unplug all your emissions and a few other things to fit.....like blake said the electronics are drastically different but that shouldn't matter if you are replacing the engine(pistons, block, heads, crank) basically 90-97 is the same acessories, brakcets, fuel system, manifold starter etc, the thing to do is to just pull the old block and just transfer everything to the new one as you take stuff off, don't forget to put in some new seals and timing belt to make life a little easier!

blake is right about ebay too, not a high demand motor to replace so you can find some that are pretty fresh for a good price....personally if you can score one for 500-800 that is awesome! if you are a speed freak do a google search for the guy that put a 2gt-jze (i think that is it) supra turbo motor in his.....really really not something i would want to ever try to think about doing....it would make my head spin

i have 1990 LS400 my motor went bad now i need new one but someone told me 1997 ls400 motor will fit in 1990ls 400 if anyone know something about this please help ...........

becz i since bought this car in oct of last year since then i spend over $2500.00 to fix it and now i have to spend another $1400.00 to fix it.............................help help

79:

You may want to check out what's called a "Japanese Domestic Market" (JDM) Engine. I will say upfront that I haven't used one, so I cannot vouch for how many miles you'll be able to get out of one. I did have a mechanic make a snide remark that JDM's only had two piston rings, whereas the "real" Lexus engines had three. I didn't put a lot of faith one way or another in what he said at the time. These are engines that are "pulls" from vehicles in Japan that must be replaced by law, very frequently . It's based on mileage and changed a couple of times over the years and I don't know what the mileage limit is presently. The motors are shipped over here and sold for very attractive prices. Whether or not they are functionally identical, I do not know. Keep in mind that even with a JDM engine, you'll have to perform the "surgery" that Sapper has correctly described.

JDM Engine

Perhaps other members can offer their opinions as to whether this is a reasonable way to go.

The other alternative is the junkyard route.

These are engines that are "pulls" from vehicles in Japan that must be replaced by law, very frequently .

quote]

Toyota enthusiasts I know who have lived in or visited Japan and know the culture well say there are no laws requiring engines to be replaced. However, two factors tend to cause the Japanese people to sell / trade their vehicles before they get real old: 1) annual government imposed vehicle re-registration expenses are high and annual vehicle safety and emission inspection procedures are demanding and nit picky. Therefore it can be quite a chore and expense to keep an aging vehicle on the road. 2) The Japanese are generally affluent people and can comfortably afford to sell / trade their vehicles every 4-5 years.

In any case, the used engines imported from Japan are generally in very good to excellent condition as I have learned first hand from purchasing one myself and from others who have told me about their experiences with them.