My Engine Blown Cause Of Toyota

Sat i took my car to toyota to get the timing belt and sepentine belt replaced. Total was $370. 2days later As i was driving to work My timing belt broke. Hard the car towed to toyota, sat there for an hour they told me that a bolt on the tensioner came off and that they would fix it. THey gave me a loner camry and said they would call in a hour. 4 hours later they call and said they have good and bad news. The bad is when the bolt came off it threw the timing belt off, which broke all the rods in the engine. The good is they are getting me a another engine with 18,000 miles on it. Should i be weary or happy?

Weary!!Dont accept a used motor.What if that motor only has 18k but was run low on oil or never had the oil changed who knows what it could have seen.If they are replaceing the motor they must feel responsibile so hold them to it.

Well first, how many miles does your GS have?

And if he doesn't accept a used motor, then what do you expect the dealer to do? Rebuild his motor?

I work at a Toyota Dealership, and that does suck that after they touched it last, it blew. And if they are willing to put a motor in your 6 year old car, that only has 18,000 miles on it, then I think that is a pretty good deal. It's not like they are going to put the motor in your car and send you down the road with a pat on your back saying "Good luck". Just how they are warranting the work they did on the belts, they will warranty this.

Weary!!Dont accept a used motor.What if that motor only has 18k but was run low on oil or never had the oil changed who knows what it could have seen.If they are replaceing the motor they must feel responsibile so hold them to it.

Well first, how many miles does your GS have?

And if he doesn't accept a used motor, then what do you expect the dealer to do? Rebuild his motor?

I work at a Toyota Dealership, and that does suck that after they touched it last, it blew. And if they are willing to put a motor in your 6 year old car, that only has 18,000 miles on it, then I think that is a pretty good deal. It's not like they are going to put the motor in your car and send you down the road with a pat on your back saying "Good luck". Just how they are warranting the work they did on the belts, they will warranty this.

Well i had 83,000 on my last motor. I know that if this motor blows i will be right back at toyota with my lawyer.

I dont know if i should demand a new motor or take this one. It does only have 18000 and i know they will warranty it. I will get my receipts from them. What should i do take this or demand a new one?

Take the engine with 18k miles. Have the mechanic do a compression check of all cylinders and WRITE DOWN the numbers for you to see - whitness this test if you can. You should see at least 140psi for an engine with only 18k miles on it. Since this engine most likely came from a wrecked vehicle, inspect for broken lugs on the head or crankcase castings.

By the dealer accepting responsibility for the problem and repairing your car, they will stand by any installation issues.

I would give it a chance since you have a 83k on the car.

Do whatever works for you.Ive worked in several stores and unfortunatly have seen some motor replacements due to error and never once was a used motor mentioned.And as far as the dealer just being the unfortunate one who touched it last, come on.Whats next they wreck your car on a road test and use used parts to fix it? :lol:

I agree getting the used motor might suck but unless you bought your car new you have no exact indicator of its usage.

I agree also with getting the compression test as well get a leak down test and have a oil leak guarantee in writing as well for a certain period like 90-120 days.

If you are open to accepting the used engine, you could possibly find out more about its past. Engines have serial numbers and those can be matched to the VIN. Your Toyota/Lexus dealer has access to the service history for the car that engine came out of, so you could see its maintenance record. With only 18,000 miles, it may very well be an engine out of a 2 or 3 year old car that would still be under warranty if it were running.

Toyota doesn't import brand new long block engines from Japan. So the dealer can't give you a new long block engine. All the dealer can do is install a low mileage used engine or an engine rebuilt by an American rebuilder. Since American rebuilders don't use genuine Toyota parts, gaskets and rebuilding techniques, they aren't as good as the factory original engines. So the low mileage used engine is your best bet - just be sure the compression is like new (up in the 180-200 PSI range on all cylinders)

Well i had 83,000 on my car. I called toyota to find out about the motor, They said they will have the vin number by wednesday so i can get a carfax report. They more than likely the car it is coming from was a wreck. The warranty on it will be 6 months, Iasked them to put a new timing belt , do oil change, and a compression check . They said they would do that. I am wondering if i should go get a lawyer or not?

Well i had 83,000 on my car. I called toyota to find out about the motor, They said they will have the vin number by wednesday so i can get a carfax report. They more than likely the car it is coming from was a wreck. The warranty on it will be 6 months, Iasked them to put a new timing belt , do oil change, and a compression check . They said they would do that. I am wondering if i should go get a lawyer or not?

Chris,

Carfax could be interesting reading, but the most valuable information for you will be from Lexus service records which the Toyota dealer or local Lexus dealer can easily download and print out for you. You will be able to see what if any problems were covered under warranty. If the car was serviced at the dealer, you will know about every oil change it had. Most importantly, carfax and dealer records will give you some confidence about the true mileage on the engine.

Given that they made a mistake on the timing belt last time, maybe you should just let them install the engine. The more work they do, the more likely a problem will be created.

Getting a lawyer will cost you money, unless you have a friend who will do you a favor writing letters. I would get a written warranty from the dealer for a period of time you are comfortable with. I doubt that the compression will be low on this engine, even after 150,000 miles. I would have them inspect the seals before they install the engine, and I would try to find out how/where the car it came from was hit.

Chris,

Carfax could be interesting reading, but the most valuable information for you will be from Lexus service records which the Toyota dealer or local Lexus dealer can easily download and print out for you. You will be able to see what if any problems were covered under warranty. If the car was serviced at the dealer, you will know about every oil change it had. Most importantly, carfax and dealer records will give you some confidence about the true mileage on the engine.

Given that they made a mistake on the timing belt last time, maybe you should just let them install the engine. The more work they do, the more likely a problem will be created.

Getting a lawyer will cost you money, unless you have a friend who will do you a favor writing letters. I would get a written warranty from the dealer for a period of time you are comfortable with. I doubt that the compression will be low on this engine, even after 150,000 miles. I would have them inspect the seals before they install the engine, and I would try to find out how/where the car it came from was hit.

As far as getting a lawyer.... I would hold off on that. Nobody is perfect, and everybody makes mistakes. It just so happens that this event directly affects you. I can understand how frustrating it is to pay X amount of money, and then have your engine blow. But the dealer has recognized it was their fault, and has offered a solution to the problem. It's true, you can't get a Brand new engine, for one, your body style and engine has changed. But to get a newer motor with lower miles isn't a bad thing, especially for the price a timing belt, and some headache. If getting a lawyer is on your list, I would at least wait to see you continually have problems with this dealer, and this "new" motor you are getting.

Chris,

Here is a very informative link for you:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...rference+engine

Read posts 23 and 25. I would not ask the Toyota mechanic for a new timing belt based on what I read. It's a gamble if the Toyota mechanic knows how to replace it. In this one respect, the Supra engine is not the same as the GS300 engine.

As far as getting a lawyer.... I would hold off on that. Nobody is perfect, and everybody makes mistakes.

Tee totally agree with this. I know you have replied that you'd hold off on getting a lawyer. Please keep us posted on how this turns out for you. I'm anticipating a nice singing engine in your GS. :D

• 2 years later...
I called toyota customer service. I told them what happened and that i want a longet warranty on the engine. So we will see what happens.

So everything went well ? Keep us posted.

2 years later

LMAO