1998 Lexus Ls 400 Transmission

supra5677

My wifes 1998 Lexus LS 400 won't go into overdrive on the freeway. It goes into 4th late and does not cruise like it suppose to. SOMEBODY HELP!!!!

What's the fluid change history? You flushing it with Toyota type IV fluid as recommend?

check the fluid and get back to us, how many miles on the car?

she has 126,000 miles on the car. Fluid was recently changed with the proper fluid.. Car normally runs great, K&N air filter and flowmasters.. Car has seen over 130mph many times..

thanks for the response

Who changed the fluid?? If one of those Jiffy Lube type places, then I'm 99% certain it's dex III and not IV. They will not let you bring in your own fluid, they force you to use theirs, which is the wrong kind! Are you certain you have the right amount in there? To me, this sounds like the first place to look is the fluid. If you are indeed at the proper level with the proper type, then maybe a solenoid or torque converter. But my bet is fluid, especially since you "recently" had the fuild changed, and now you're having this problem. See the connection?

she has 126,000 miles on the car. Fluid was recently changed with the proper fluid.. Car normally runs great, K&N air filter and flowmasters.. Car has seen over 130mph many times..

thanks for the response

Who changed the fluid?? If one of those Jiffy Lube type places, then I'm 99% certain it's dex III and not IV. They will not let you bring in your own fluid, they force you to use theirs, which is the wrong kind! Are you certain you have the right amount in there? To me, this sounds like the first place to look is the fluid. If you are indeed at the proper level with the proper type, then maybe a solenoid or torque converter. But my bet is fluid, especially since you "recently" had the fuild changed, and now you're having this problem. See the connection?

thanks for the response

okay thanks folks.. I remember she bought the fluid from the dealer and only had the two quarts changed. What I will try first is to change ALL the fluid and the tranny filter, we'll see how that works.. How many quarts does the transmission hold..?