Help With My 90 Ls

Lexstacy26

OK everyone alot of the lights in the car are out such as a few on the shifter and on the Heater and now a damn light on the dash board is going out the D is not lit up this morning and was working fine yesterday and all the other ones are working like the P,R,N,2,and L all work but the drive one what the hell is wrong with my car now I just bought it about 2 months ago and I have had nothing but problems with this car Im feed up and about to sell the damn thing, It needs to many repairs already and everything it needs is way to damn much. :chairshot: :cries: :censored:

OK everyone alot of the lights in the car are out such as a few on the shifter and on the Heater and now a damn light on the dash board is going out the D is not lit up this morning and was working fine yesterday and all the other ones are working like the P,R,N,2,and L all work but the drive one what the hell is wrong with my car now I just bought it about 2 months ago and I have had nothing but problems with this car Im feed up and about to sell the damn thing, It needs to many repairs already and everything it needs is way to damn much.:chairshot: :cries: :censored:

Sounds like your cluster may be in need of repair. As for the heater bulbs, those are replaceable. Have a look at lexls.com. I haven't had the shifter issue yet..

You need to understand while this car is a Lexus it is also 16 years old. Things break period. It is highly likely the 1990 model you have has been through several owners some of which have deferred critical maintenance. Even my one owner 1992 LS400 has needed $4,000 in work to restore to brand new condition. It comes with the territory of owning expensive cars like these. Unless you are a mechanic or have access to Lexus dealer alternatives you may want to get a newer LS.

-Sam

OK everyone alot of the lights in the car are out such as a few on the shifter and on the Heater and now a damn light on the dash board is going out the D is not lit up this morning and was working fine yesterday and all the other ones are working like the P,R,N,2,and L all work but the drive one what the hell is wrong with my car now I just bought it about 2 months ago and I have had nothing but problems with this car Im feed up and about to sell the damn thing, It needs to many repairs already and everything it needs is way to damn much.:chairshot::cries: :censored:

Sounds like your cluster may be in need of repair. As for the heater bulbs, those are replaceable. Have a look at lexls.com. I haven't had the shifter issue yet..

You need to understand while this car is a Lexus it is also 16 years old. Things break period. It is highly likely the 1990 model you have has been through several owners some of which have deferred critical maintenance. Even my one owner 1992 LS400 has needed $4,000 in work to restore to brand new condition. It comes with the territory of owning expensive cars like these. Unless you are a mechanic or have access to Lexus dealer alternatives you may want to get a newer LS.

-Sam

Thanks same I will check out that web site and my hubby will take a look at that stuff and fix the thing that need to be fixed as our money gets better thanks again.

Krystal

My dash and center area all go dark. I will replace the capacitors this weekend. FINALLY, SO WISH ME LUCK!

My point is during the summer lights are fine... When it is cold the dash issue has something to do with whole car. Cheers

Send it yo Jim Walker and let him fix it. I had similar problems. He fixed mine and it's working fine now. This problem is common in older 1st generation LS400's. See the FAQ section at the beginning of the forum.

My dash and center area all go dark. I will replace the capacitors this weekend. FINALLY, SO WISH ME LUCK!

My point is during the summer lights are fine... When it is cold the dash issue has something to do with whole car. Cheers

I do not get your remark that the dash issue has something to do with the whole car???????????

As for an electricle circut that works when hot but not cold, or the other way around... It is simply a matter of a bads conection somewere.. Most likly a bad soder joint, or crack in a circut board. But it could be a loose wire or a conector not tight enough. But in any event the expansion or conrtraction no matter how slight acts as an on off switch.

I'm not that good at "cars", but I do know my basic electrical stuff. Stuff that goes on and off, is always a bad conection somewhere... The trick is finding the "where".

As for a 90 LS needing work... Any car this old will need work. I have a 91 with just under 140,000 miles in it. My dad owned it before me. This car has been cared for, and I just put $2,000.00 into it. Now this should keep it runing fine for another 50,000 to 1000,000 miles, but an LS is not a cheep to keep car. And any older car just has old parts on it, and old parts go out. You can buy a used car and throw money into keeping it rumnning (as I do with my three cars), or you can buy a new car for $40,000.00 and watch it become worth $30,000 a year later.

But sights like this help with DIY tips and links to discount parts etc.... And guys like Lezls letting us learn from his pain, and others.

I found this board when a dealer wanted $4,000.00 to fix my power steering. I would have dumped my 91 LS before dumping 4 grand into just the steering.

With this sight I found out it was the power steering selinod and had a mechanic clean it for $25.00... So I saved $3,975.00 in my first visit to this site!

In any event paying for a car sucks..... And summer gas prices are going to make it more fun :chairshot: