Ls400 With 200k Miles. What To Do?

vista4u2

Hi. I am new to this forum, and also to Lexus ownership. I don't know how such fine cars have escaped my ownership in the past. My Question is this: I recently bought a 92 LS400. By all appearances, it looks like it has been very well cared for and runs perfectly (except the AC compressor is out :( . I have no maintenance records. Assuming the overall very good condition, is it necessary to change the timing belt? I found the instructions to do so in here, but it still looks like daunting task based upon my mechanical skills. If there are any other high miles maintenance items I need to address, please let me know. Thanks!

vista:

Hi. I am new to this forum, and also to Lexus ownership. I don't know how such fine cars have escaped my ownership in the past. My Question is this: I recently bought a 92 LS400. By all appearances, it looks like it has been very well cared for and runs perfectly (except the AC compressor is out :( . I have no maintenance records. Assuming the overall very good condition, is it necessary to change the timing belt? I found the instructions to do so in here, but it still looks like daunting task based upon my mechanical skills. If there are any other high miles maintenance items I need to address, please let me know. Thanks!

First of all, the important stuff; WELCOME!

lessee..........You have fine taste in automobiles.

AC comp..........not a huge deal right now. Disconnect the electrical connector for the clutch (on the AC Comp) so that the pump/clutch won't seize, bust your serpentine belt, drain your battery, etc, etc. Fix the AC as time/money/season permits/dictates.

Your LS (1992) has a "Non-Interference" Engine, so if the timing belt breaks, your valves won't turn into pretzels because they got smacked by the pistons. This means that changing your timing belt isn't as critical for you as it is for some of the rest of us. Having said that, if you suspect that the timing belt has 90+K on it and/or it's say 7+ years old, then you should probably change it. You'll also want to change the water pump at the same time. It's (water pump) about $125.00, but it would be a shame to have to go back in a second time just for the pump. T/B labor is $500.00 to $600.00. If your are the least bit intimidated, find a good Independant ("Indie") mechanic to do it for you.

CHANGE ALL YOUR FLUIDS!.........The sooner, the better. Some will disagree with me, but if you don't know when the last time any of it was changed.....etc, etc. This way, you're sure, & it's not hideously expensive to do so. Particularly the tranny fluid...

Thank you for the reply. Though I do plan on changing out the timing belt sometime in the not too distant future, it's nice to know that if it does break, I won't ruin my engine.

On another note, I have always been a Slick 50 man in my domestic cars. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use it in my Lexus?

Also, I know the book wants us to use 91 octane fuel, but does allow an exception for lesser octane in a pinch. So, with that said, can we use 87 octane on a regular basis without negative consequences?

Also, maybe I blundered already... I was 3/4 quart low on tranny fluid, and added Dextron III without thinkint to check the manual first. That was 400 miles ago, and nothing seems different tranny wise. Do I need to do anything about this?

Mean while I am digging this car, luxury with a near sports car feel. Luv it!

At that mileage, I would have the tranny flushed by the toyota dealer and have oem fluid put in there. I wouldn't be worried about a little dexIII if the tranny didn't have 200k on it already. and i doubt it'll hurt it too bad now as it's not that much. but...better safe than sorry, and worth the $75 bucks if you ask me to make sure your transmission has what it needs..

If you must...go the 89 octane route..better than 87..In any case I believe and this has been discussed at length on this forum, you will see a difference in gas mileage..so the savings aren't that great!! Welcome to the club :cheers: