2000 Ls 400 Just Bought - Help

Southern_NJ

Hey guys. I am new to the forum, but not new to lexus. I had a 92 ls 400 that I sold a few years ago with 200K miles. I just bought a 2000 LS with 110,000 miles. Just noticed a few thing today - brought the car home yesterday.

When I put the car in reverse to get out of the drive way..fine...when I put it in Drive the car wouldn't move that well. Yes, I checked the AT fluid...at the right level, and it seemed fine. Not real pink...but at the right level. The car seems to run fine nonetheless. any ideas.

Also, the check engine light came on. I am assuming a O2 sensor bit the dust. How difficult are they to change. There are what 3 O2 sensors to change.

THANKs guys.

Glenn

Welcome back to Lexus.

You can find what you need to know about O2 sensors at www.lexls.com

click on the tutorials link at the top of the page.

The slow go foward may need some more details. But an early thought could be a hanging emergency brake.

I doubt that it's the O2 sensors but instead of guessing I would simply get the codes checked at Autozone ( if you don't have a code reader) and let us know what they are. My guess would be a bad ignition coil and/or a misfire in one of the cylinders.

I have an old 92 so have no idea about a 2000, but on mine if you switch on the ignition then connect the terminals TE1 and E1 in the diagnostics check connector (in the engine bay) or the TDCL (inside the cabin) the "check" light flashes out the error number on the combination meter. No guess work needed. A short piece of wire with spade terminals works fine.

The ECU has a diagnostic test mode that runs with extra sensitivity only if you connect the TDCL TE2 and E1 BEFORE turning on the ignition and running till the problem occurs. It stores the fault code until the problem is fixed or the ECU memory reset. If all is normal it will tell you that too!

Could someone confirm that the later models retained these excellent features?

If it is a fault with any of the transmission solenoids (possible cause) the fault code will tell you which one!

Good luck.