Sirius Doesn't Sound As Good As I Thought?

M500

Point of fact, Sirius / XM are simply radios running a very different frequency, with modulation that is decoded into a digital signal like a CD. I also know that XM (probably Sirius as well) uses ground based repeaters to work better through multipath from large buildings that may have a lot of metalic elements(much the same problem for UHF TV signals). Unfortunately the satellite signal strength is pretty low, even though they use some of the most powerful satellites ever orbited (I've worked on them). Reception in most houses is pretty good, since the walls / ceilings do not contain significant amounts of metal. You may find the the stores use an external antenna, I know they do that for TV reception. The best system will couple a good antenna (designed for the right frequency), with high quality connection cables and a low noise receiver. The Lexus LS 430 XM system is apparently mounted in the trunk and connects directly into the stereo receiver that is also located there (right close to the rear window antenna).

Good luck with the satellite receivers, I would certainly stick with the Lexus specific options to add satellite radio. I've very rarely seen anyone at the normal stores that had much technical knowledge, so Circuit City et al should be "caveat emptor."

• 2 months later...

Anyone feel the same way? I thought Siruis Sat Radio show blow way regular FM with comparable CD quality sound but its not. It just like FM without commercials. I swear they sounded so good in Circuity city or Best buys. Also the reception sucks. I get no reception when I park in my garage or park inside mall parking builders. Am I expecting to much out of it? I find myself listening to my CD more then Sirius.

Reception on Sat radio is not that good. We discontinued receiving it. What I found unbearable was it fading in and out, off and on. If you really want to go nuts, drive along the Merritt Parkway in Conneticut. The trees block the reception. It is pleasant to have the sun filtering in and out, not a song. I think that is why it has not taken off.

Where is your antenna installed?

I almost never have drop outs anymore, and believe it or not you do get used to occasional dropouts. Where the antenna is installed makes a big difference.

To me the extra content of Sirius is well worth an occasional dropout.