What Lexus Told Me

I went to Lexus the other day for a 90K service and the advisor told me that the Front and Left Outer Volocity Joints needed to get replaced and that there was a shimmy in the steering wheel. He qouted me $1800 for the work and I said no. Now if someone here can help me on what he was talking about as far as the Joints and why my steering wheel had a shimmy , would like someones opinion on the matter.

If he is talking about the drive shafts, they can be replaced at an independent garage with rebuilt ones. Should be a lot cheaper than 1800. The parts are probably no more than $200 tops and then add labor.

As for the shimmy I dont know, not enough info, but you could have nothing more than bad tires or alignment.

If he is talking about the drive shafts, they can be replaced at an independent garage with rebuilt ones. Should be a lot cheaper than 1800. The parts are probably no more than $200 tops and then add labor.

As for the shimmy I dont know, not enough info, but you could have nothing more than bad tires or alignment.

Brand new tires balanced, but the car doesnt pull to left or right, but I havent given it a alignment since I bought it 800 miles ago and as far drive shafts that the english word for what he was talking about? So about 100 buck a piece plus labor, is it hard to do yourself?

You need quite a few tools, but the job is probably a little more than what most people would attempt. I have replace four axle shafts of front wheel drive cars. Please refresh my memory, is the ES300 a front wheel drive or a rear wheel drive car? I have not owned one. You need to give us more specifics on what the parts he wanted to replace.

You need quite a few tools, but the job is probably a little more than what most people would attempt. I have replace four axle shafts of front wheel drive cars. Please refresh my memory, is the ES300 a front wheel drive or a rear wheel drive car? I have not owned one. You need to give us more specifics on what the parts he wanted to replace.

One thing that I do notice is that when Im in park and I turn the steering wheel left or right it makes a funny noise not clicking noise, but like a rubbing noise, like if its bushings rubbing or something.

This is what is says on the receit TEC RECOMMENDS: LEFT & RIGHT OUTER CONSTANT VELOCITY JOINTS

Ok the 96 ES300 is front wheel drive, to replace just the outer velocity joints is stupid, I found the Entire axle shafts from Park Place Lexus for $141 apiece with free shipping. You might find them cheaper at one of the independent auto parts stores. Then it is just a matter of installing them or finding an independent garage to do so for you. I know that the labor can be bad at lexus. See if there is a Japanese garage in your locality or a toyota garage, The Camry probably has the same axle shafts. I think you can beat the $280 dollors worth of parts. Labor I dont. know.

New halfshafts cost $50-70 a pop. Get on ebay & buy a set & take them to a mechanic to put them on. You should be able to get away with about $400usd in it.

I was able to get the both axel assy for 70 a pop and my mechanic installed them for 130. Totaled out to 270 for the work and parts not to bad. Also he told me that I might need inner tie rods that why my steering wheel has a small shimmy. So he is going to do that for 200 total.

post-22162-1142651466_thumb.jpg

you should call that Lexus service manager back and tell him that not only did they not get your $1800 worth of your business, they lost a definate $400. They may not care, but you might like the feeling of an occasional "I don't think so!!!"

steviej

you should call that Lexus service manager back and tell him that not only did they not get your $1800 worth of your business, they lost a definate $400. They may not care, but you might like the feeling of an occasional "I don't think so!!!"

steviej

I should those crooks

See, you beat them, plus now you have some new axle shafts to go the journey. God Bless you man for listening to my opinion. Best of luck to you, Lenore (Tom)

• 4 weeks later...

Next time put the CV axles in yourself and save $130. Plus you'll have the satisfaction that all the nuts and bolts were actually put back on.

Get the axles at Autozone and you get a lifetime warranty.