Any Reason Not To....

branshew

...put Brembo drilled rotors on my car? I am talking drilled only, not slotted and drilled.

My OEM front rotors have recently developed a slight warp and I'm not sure if they have enough left to resurface them so I'll probably put on a set a replacements.

I know that the potential is greater for warping on a drilled rotor, but I'm not racing the car or subjecting it to any severe braking (aside from nearly hitting the a$$hole that cut in front of me on the highway this morning). If the cross-drilling can provide any additional stopping power I would think that's a plus. From my experience - Brembo makes a quality product and I've had success with them in the past for regular (non-drilled/slotted) rotors. The set of Brembos will run me @ $150 - about the same as OEM from the stealership.

Thoughts?

I'd just make sure they have those two centering screw holes so the rotor will be balanced when you put on the wheel. I went through that already with non-oem rotors that didn't have those two screws.

My opinion...stick with oem. I just ordered my 3rd set of brake pads yesterday, finally bit the bullet and went oem, with new shim kits and fitment kits all the way around. Past two aftermarket pads have been screamers and the fronts now sound like they're chewing up my new rotors. I will never wander away from oem on brakes again...lesson learned...

but then again, i'm not exactly the sharpest tack on the board either... :blink:

Agree, go with OEM pads or aftermarket Akebono ProACT. Believe me your wasting your money with drilled and slotted rotors for most (99%) of all drivers. Get a good basic rotor (not the cheap Chinese ones) and go with good pads.

I use OEM pads and rotors on both of my cars, and they have perfect pedal feel, absolutely silent, and very little dust if any. Toyota-Lexus continually improves the pad material year by year, as experience and new processes dictate. Great parts.

Most cheap aftermarket rotors also have the factory alignment holes. They are not needed but can be handy when doing work .

Brembos will have the holes as my previous ones also had the centering holes.

Getting drilled is a nice addition especially since you have smaller brakes than the ucf20 which mean you will heat them up faster and could use the holes to cool them down . You may not be a race car (driver style) person the car forces the brakes to work as hard as that , but because of the rotors being under rated for the job it will still cause them to overheat very easily.

It only takes one major stop to make them worth the difference which is only marginal until really stomped on.

BTW brembo does not drill or slot any of its rotors but only sells blanks until you get into their high end GT braking packages.

I love my drilled i added a few weeks ago and would have choose brembo but they are not available for 95-00 ucf20/21 cars only the previous.

I did put on drilled-only rotors and NAPA ceramic pads on both my 97LS4 and 96SC4 over a year ago, and both cars are still braking great thus far. no noise and really no dust!

last time I talked to local lex dealer, it seems that all OEM pads are non-ceramic type. the part mangner said that Lexus just don't offer any ceramic kind. don't really know why the heck not....

BTW brembo does not drill or slot any of its rotors but only sells blanks until you get into their high end GT braking packages.

What I was looking at was their "Sport" line that is just below their GT line. It appears that they do come pre-drilled by Brembo, but I could be wrong - they may send the blanks out to be drilled by someone else. Here's a link to their website that shows them pre-drilled.

What brakes did you end up going with?

I made a post with my new brake rotors in the LS section.

I never saw the Sport line before as they used to never sell pre drilled rotors only blanks.

Thanks for updating me as i love there rotors especially with there new pillar cooling vanes, free mounting screws, carbon casting and micro balancing features.

I really wish they listed the 95-2000 LS but i am trying to see if i can get the 2 piece Supra turbo rotors to fit as the pads are similar but different calipers and there is only a few thousands of a inch difference in the diameter of the 2 cars front rotors.

2 Piece rotors are much lighter and cool much better as well.

While drilled rotors alow for more outgassing of the pads, the reduction in overall mass allows for less overall heat transfer. A blank rotor will be able to withstand a higher heat index that a drilled rotor. It's really a toss up of advantage/disadvantage, though a drilled rotor is lighter and the LS could use some reduction in rotational weight.