Engine Oil Leak

alsalih

Ok guys it's my turn to ask, I need your help. I had a perfectly running 98 LS400 with 110K miles and not a drop of oil leaking anywhere. I decided to switch to Mobile 1 and sure enough 4K miles later the car is leaking BADLY! It's on the right side and it's coming from high above and going all over the powersteering pump and alternator and worse of all it's running back and getting on the exhaust manifold. It's not a power steering leak, it is engine oil, and I did retorque the valve cover and it's still leaking from somewhere else in that area. I just put some flourescent dye in to see if I can locate the source but until then has anyone had a similar experience? Has anyone had a engine fire from an oil leak on an LS400? Any ideas??

Valve covers seem a logical choice(and relatively painless fix). I believe the valves are the highest point on the engine where you would have oil flowing. Need to pinpoint the source though. I'd do a good clean-up with degreaser around that area (as best you can) and then watch for the source. Once valve cover gaskets start leaking, no amount of tightening or re-torqueing will fix - must replace gaskets. Odd that a change to synthetic would be the root cause of the problem. :wacko:

Had a fire from an oil leak in a 48 Plymouth when i was a kid. My dad crawled under the car with a blanket and put it out. Scary. :o

I definantly agree with Larry. I just changed my valve cover gaskets not that long ago, and they were very easy and not too expensive--I think $20/side.

Mobile1 didn't make any leaks that weren't already there. ;) I only run M1 in my almost 300k LS without any trouble at all.

alsalih:

It's on the right side and it's coming from high above and going all over the powersteering pump and alternator and worse of all it's running back and getting on the exhaust manifold.

Look in the area of the Front Right Cam Seal................You might have to remove the sprocket cover to get a good look.

Threadcutter and mehullica thanks for the additional info. After using the dye and a UV light it appears that the leak was mainly from the valve cover gasket and retorquing the bolts appears to have stopped it. mehullica when a cam seal leaks on the vvti V8 does it leak down by the TB and show up in the drain hole on the TB lower crank cover or does it show up around the cam cover itself?

Ouch, that's exactly what it's looking like. I'll wait to see if the seals will swell back up because I'm really not interested at all in replacing the cam seal. Would there be any problem if I just left it for now, could it possibly get on the TB and damage it? Thanks guys.

Would there be any problem if I just left it for now, could it possibly get on the TB and damage it? Thanks guys.

I doubt it. I just put new cam and crank seals in my car since the old ones were leaking so badly (probably for at least the past 50k miles). My timing belt was completely dry, but various brackets and componets that I thought were painted black were actually silver! LOL As the leaks progress, expect a big stain in your garage and the underside of the car gets coated in oil...especially when your crank seal starts to leak since the fan will blow it all around underneath the car. :wacko: I'm so glad I have new seals in there now!

Thanks for all the good information everyone. I'll see what it does in the next couple of weeks and if still leaks then I'll bite the bullet and get it fixed. I just hate getting that smell of engine oil burining off on the exhaust manifold.