Anyone Upgraded The Stereo?

surgeon00

:unsure: I agree with your comments about the sound system. We just turned in a SAAB 9-5 at the end of it's lease (amazing audio) so the audio transition to the stock Lexus 330 system was particularly painful. I would like to upgrade my system as well, although I might actually be tempted to buy the Navigation Package in order to get the Mark Levinson system, if in fact there is actually an option to upgrade with a dealership installation. Failing that, if you get any reliable information on less costly upgrade alternatives, I would be greatful if you could pass it along.

I have a '00 RX300 and have been looking into replacing the audio system with something that sounds 'good'. I haven't been able to find anyone whos done an aftermarket upgrade. I think I am going to have to buy some amps (with speaker level inputs) speakers and 2 subs to make it sound good.

Is this the best we can do as RX 300/330 owners? The stock Harmon Kardon system in my BMW 328 rocked. Added a nice mono amp and 2 polk audio subs and it was totally awesome! No one could believe it was a stock system. And now I have a Lexus RX300 with a &$%# system! HELP US!

JP

I have a 01' RX300 Silversport which I bought with the Nav package but then added a Xtant 1001 Amp and 12" JL Audio w6 (smaller ones will sound great also) subwoofers, an added amp and good subwoofers will make a big difference. I recommend a subwoofer tube if space is a concern.

Two thoughts.

1. If you know what you want and it will fit try an Auto Breakers.

2. In my experience most ICE Front ends are OK, its the Amps and speakers that sound poor. Any decent Auto electrician should be able to tap into the existing ICE system and attach your chosen Amp and Speaker Combo's. There's tons of room in an Rx300 to hide stuff, like the woofer under passenger seat.

Best of luck

Nick

I have a new RX330 with the Mark levinson package and I have to say, it seriously sucks. I can't believe it. A 45k car with audio that sucks as bad as it does. There is NO bass on this thing. If I were Mark Levinson, I would be ashamed to put my name on it. I have heard from others that the original with 8 speakers sounds better than the Mark Levinson system with 11 speakers.

Don't get the NAV/ML for the audio for sure, but I would not take anything for the NAV system, I love it. It's handy even locally when trying to find somewhere I have never been.

RickC

• 1 year later...
I have a new RX330 with the Mark levinson package and I have to say, it seriously sucks.  I can't believe it.  A 45k car with audio that sucks as bad as it does.  There is NO bass on this thing.  If I were Mark Levinson, I would be ashamed to put my name on it.  I have heard from others that the original with 8 speakers sounds better than the Mark Levinson system with 11 speakers.

Don't get the NAV/ML for the audio for sure, but I would not take anything for the NAV system, I love it.  It's handy even locally when trying to find somewhere I have never been.

RickC

I have a '00 RX300 and have been looking into replacing the audio system with something that sounds 'good'. I haven't been able to find anyone whos done an aftermarket upgrade. I think I am going to have to buy some amps (with speaker level inputs) speakers and 2 subs to make it sound good.

Is this the best we can do as RX 300/330 owners? The stock Harmon Kardon system in my BMW 328 rocked. Added a nice mono amp and 2 polk audio subs and it was totally awesome! No one could believe it was a stock system. And now I have a Lexus RX300 with a &$%# system! HELP US!

JP

I have the perfect solution. See my post here -

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=15410&hl=

Glenng2

We all know that the headunit is difficult to replace because it powers all the ac, heat, and radio, but theOEM radio is fine, all you have to do is change the factory speakers, amp, and sub.

Just work with what the RX300 came with and you will be fine. Just need to replace all of the OEM audio parts. I was able to remove the OEM radio screen and replaced it with

a regular screen to watch dvds with no alterations on the dashboard. The price will vary depending on the brand of equipment you buy and where you buy it. :geek:

total cost $2000

2alpine 7" monitors

1alpine TV tuner

2 fosgate amps and 1 10"sub(all from ebay)

4 jbl door speakers

1 blaupunkt dvd player(only $100)

2weeks of elbow grease

post-10162-1111355419_thumb.jpg

i dunno about you guys, but my 2001 rx300 factory sound system sounds awesome! i dont even care to upgrade it because i think the benefits would be marginal. im also a big audio person. i used to have a 12" solo baric with kenwood dual mag speakers in my camry and yet im still very pleased with the rx's sound.

We all know that the headunit is difficult to replace because it powers all the ac, heat, and radio,  but theOEM radio is fine, all you have to do is change the factory speakers, amp, and sub.

Just work with what the RX300 came with and you will be fine.  Just need to replace all of the OEM audio parts.  I was able to remove the OEM radio screen and replaced it with 

a regular screen to watch dvds with no alterations on the dashboard.  The price will vary depending on the brand of equipment you buy and where you buy it.  :geek:

total cost $2000

2alpine  7" monitors

1alpine TV tuner

2 fosgate amps and 1 10"sub(all from ebay)

4 jbl door speakers

1 blaupunkt dvd player(only $100)

2weeks of elbow grease

how do you control you AC?

You control it with your OEM radio, that's why it is next to impossible replacing the factory radio.

Mond'z

You have to replace the OEM screen if you want to display videos or your dvds. I asked the same question before I replaced it.

It may work(not really sure, didn't try it) but that black line towards the bottom of the screen will be visible.

hey, you replaced your factory blue screen! did you relocate it? if not how do you know what your climate settings are??

You control it with your OEM radio, that's why it is next to impossible replacing the factory radio.

Mond'z

You have to replace the OEM screen if you want to display videos or your dvds.  I asked the same question before I replaced it.

It may work(not really sure, didn't try it) but that black line towards the bottom of the screen will be visible.

I've read all the messages here about it being difficult, if not impossible, to replace the stock head unit. I'd like to get an RX330 but if I can't replace the head unit I won't do it. I understand the head unit itself is fine, but it doesn't have the features I want. I have a Kenwood system in my IS300, including a Kenwood Music Keg (about 1,000 on one cartridge), and integrated Sirius Satellite Radio. I can't even imagine being without those two things, so aftermarket really is the only way for me.

Am I pretty much S.O.L. on this?

Thx

hey, you replaced your factory blue screen! did you relocate it? if not how do you know what your climate settings are??

Mond'z

You have to replace the OEM screen if you want to display videos or your dvds.  I asked the same question before I replaced it.

I still have the factory screen.. just relocated it in the glove box. My original plan was to mount it flush on the center console, but it was more difficult than I thought.

so for now it's inside the glove box