New Member And Soon To Be New Lexus Rx350 Owner

lrmemd

Hi. I am new to this forum and brand new to Lexus. I have driven BMWs for the past 12 years (540/528 and X5) and am due to take ownership of the RX350 in a few weeks. I am a bit wary about the switch but have heard really good things about Lexus reliability and customer service. I would appreciate any advice you can give me and hopefully, some reassurance that I made the right decision.

#1 - Is it worth getting any of the following after factory items?

a) Resistall car protection (inside/outside)

b) Automotive Theft Protection/Window Etching

c) Front and Rear Bumper guards

#2 - I am dealing with Bay Ridge Lexus and have had a very pleasureable experience with the dealership. I originally started to do business with Ray Catena in Westchester but walked away because of the run around I kept getting from the salesman. I am not familiar with the Bay Ridge service center as yet. I read a number of previous threads that stated that this service center is not reliable. Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks for your input! :)

I would say

A-no

B-no

C-no

2. cant help ya

Are you getting the NAV or performance package....

Thanks for the reply. I am getting the performance package with NAV. I wanted to have the Levinson Radio but could not get it with the performance package. Strange that they do not allow you to add it in. This car is coming from Japan.

I would also say no to all 3 things the dealership is trying to sell you.

Just so you know, Lexus already has a sticker on every body panel with the VIN number.

Welcome to the club.

Tom

Thanks. I appreciate the information.

the 350 sound like a great choice. the only protection i would get is that 3M clear film that covers the bumper, hood and lites from rock chips. its guaranteed not to yellow and it protects your investment, you will have rock chips on all those areas. the dealer does charge alot for it, you may be able to negotiate that price and definately check aftermarket application of it at an independent shop. i dont work for 3m, i do have the product and it has saved the value of my lexus

lol great car, i have the performance package with nav as well. And its great, espeically the air suspension. Anyways, i dont think your car will be coming from japan...i think maybe canada. lol

Nope..the car is coming from Japan. I have the VIN # that starts with "J". It is on the boat as we speak!

Thanks for the input. Nice to know the car will drive well.

the 350 sound like a great choice. the only protection i would get is that 3M clear film that covers the bumper, hood and lites from rock chips. its guaranteed not to yellow and it protects your investment, you will have rock chips on all those areas. the dealer does charge alot for it, you may be able to negotiate that price and definately check aftermarket application of it at an independent shop. i dont work for 3m, i do have the product and it has saved the value of my lexus

Thanks. The finance guy did not even discuss this option. He was pushing the Front Bumper guard to protect the High intensity lights from being stolen.

Another thought - the 350 is now satellite ready. Does anybody know what the cost is for getting this put in? The dealership was trying to tell me it would be $1195.00 and I told them that had to be the previous price for the 330 because it was not satellite ready.

Nice, I have the PP and NAV as well! I like that you get the full leather steering wheel and leather shifter knob and all the other stuff:)

I made sure I got a 330 from Japan:) or I wasnt buying

Your X5 was rear torque biased while the RX series is front torque biased. A totally differently "feel" dynamically driving style wise. The first thing you will notice in comparison is that when you get/got off the gas in the X5 the result was a serious level of engine compression braking. Ther RX series, being predominantly FWD or front biased AWD will quickly upshift in this circumsatnce to alleviate any substantial level of engine compression braking on the front wheels.

If you live in an area wherein you occassionally need to use tire chains the previous RX models could not have chains installed on the rear due to poor suspension clearance. While on the one hand warning you about the hazardous of an inordinate level of traction at the front versus the rear the owners manual that goes forward to tell you to use tirechains ONLY on the front.

Were I you I would check out the newer style/design AWD systems in the following vehicles before I leap from a marque dominated by RWD designs, BMW, into a mostly FWD vehicle.

Volvo XC90

Ford FreeStyle

Lexus GS300

Lexus IS300

Honda Legend

Acura RL

Acura RDX

While I own a 2001 AWD RX300 I would personally wait to test drive the upcoming Acura RDX SUV before taking delivery of an RX350. The new RX350 is again fitted with a viscous clutch so it can have infinite levels of "lock" on the center diff'l so in the end I may buy one, but not before a shakedown cruise in the RDX.

The RX series is really truly one beautiful and relaible SUV, but if you need true AWD capability the solidly rear torque biased X5 or X3 will run rings around it.

There is still a kit that needs to be installed, but the price should be closer to $500 than $1200.

Ditto the advice everyone has given you including the 3M clear bra. Don't get this from the dealer though because they inflate the price. Find an installer near you and have them do it.

Your X5 was rear torque biased while the RX series is front torque biased. A totally differently "feel" dynamically driving style wise. The first thing you will notice in comparison is that when you get/got off the gas in the X5 the result was a serious level of engine compression braking. Ther RX series, being predominantly FWD or front biased AWD will quickly upshift in this circumsatnce to alleviate any substantial level of engine compression braking on the front wheels.

If you live in an area wherein you occassionally need to use tire chains the previous RX models could not have chains installed on the rear due to poor suspension clearance. While on the one hand warning you about the hazardous of an inordinate level of traction at the front versus the rear the owners manual that goes forward to tell you to use tirechains ONLY on the front.

Were I you I would check out the newer style/design AWD systems in the following vehicles before I leap from a marque dominated by RWD designs, BMW, into a mostly FWD vehicle.

Volvo XC90

Ford FreeStyle

Lexus GS300

Lexus IS300

Honda Legend

Acura RL

Acura RDX

While I own a 2001 AWD RX300 I would personally wait to test drive the upcoming Acura RDX SUV before taking delivery of an RX350. The new RX350 is again fitted with a viscous clutch so it can have infinite levels of "lock" on the center diff'l so in the end I may buy one, but not before a shakedown cruise in the RDX.

The RX series is really truly one beautiful and relaible SUV, but if you need true AWD capability the solidly rear torque biased X5 or X3 will run rings around it.

Thanks so much for the information. :)

There is still a kit that needs to be installed, but the price should be closer to $500 than $1200.

Ditto the advice everyone has given you including the 3M clear bra. Don't get this from the dealer though because they inflate the price. Find an installer near you and have them do it.

Thanks. That is what I thought. Nice to know the 3M product is worth doing. :)