Seafoam = Rough Engine

nc211

I've got a can of seafoam in the gas tank now. Ever notice that your engine runs just a tick louder with that stuff running through the system? I've been goosin' it pretty good the past couple of days to get the revs up, heat up and let that stuff clean out the system.

No problems being reported here, just curious if anyone else has ever noticed that? I use to run the duralube fuel cleaner stuff, and it would actually quiet down the engine. But the seafoam seem to do the opposite. Only while it's in the system though.

I don't notice any increases in noise only an reduction in fuel mileage.

Just ran a can and a half for a 5 hour drive to a funeral a few days ago .

No real changes that i have noticed ,still no comparison to ingesting it through the TB.

SK:

No real changes that i have noticed ,still no comparison to ingesting it through the TB.

I've been thinking about the Sea Foam & Berryman's Chemtool thing & unless I've sidetracked myself (certainly possible) I believe that Sea Foam or Chemtool in the gas tank is a mutually exclusive transaction from the Throttle Body Ingestion.

In other words, either product in the gas tank will enter the cylinder(s) through the injector(s), which is/are downstream from the throttle body. Whichever product you put in the gas tank, it will never "see" the throttle body unless you perform the "manual ingestion" into the intake manifold/air chamber documented here recently on another post. BTW, unless I've got it wrong, the reason the throttle body & air chamber get so "gunked up" is specifically due to the "wonderful" EGR system we all have to contend with.....

Perhaps you are saying that either product in the gas tank offers results that "pale in comparison" to manual ingestion through the throttle body (?)......................

Sorry thread , you lost me . I am not sure if you are asking me a question or for me to validate your feelings on it?

You seem to know what your talking about as a gas tank additive cannot affect the TB area including the egr and a TB cleaner cannot clean the injectors. So both ways need to be done for a proper cleaning.

Unfortunately i have now used my whole case out of seafoam i bought on my last drive to the states . Now i have to wait until i head back south of the border to get some at NAPA.

BTW i changed my oil today and added some seafoam (last can) before the change and it is nice and quiet again. The only noise i can hear is those damn Toyota injectors clicking away.

SK:

a gas tank additive cannot affect the TB area including the egr and a TB cleaner cannot clean the injectors. So both ways need to be done for a proper cleaning.

Yes, that was basically my point. You just found a much less longwinded way of saying it................

Unfortunately i have now used my whole case out of seafoam i bought on my last drive to the states.

Can you get your hands on Berryman's B-12 Chemtool? I've been using it lately & I'm pretty happy with it, particularly the fact that it's less than half the cost of Seafoam (which is a product I also like).

Berryman's Chemtool

Thanks, :D

• 2 weeks later...

I used seafoam today as directed on the car on my LS. 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 through the brake booster line, 1/3 in the gas tank. Besides a lot of smoke after starting it up after running it through the brake booster, I didnt notice any differance. Car still runs and idles the same. Dont get me wrong the car runs well and all of that smoke showed how much buildup was in there, but there wasnt any improvement otherwise. I am going to leave the stuff in the oil for the next week or so then change it out.

The oil is a additive cleaner which is meant to be added right before an oil change.

If it breaks down oil/grime/dirt/carbon then it can't be good to be kept in the oil.

Also it evaporates at a low temp easily so it does not last long .

Sweet, listen to skperformance, you don't want to leave that stuff in your oil for that long. It's meant to just be in there for a few minutes while the engine idles, not rev up and down under load. You could be setting yourself up for some oil leaks in those seals if you do that, if not worse. You'll probably need to change out your plugs too at some point, as I've read on here, and that other lexus site, there is a high probability that they'll foul up now with the gunk from the intake. I'd probably wait until the stuff has gone through your gas tank before replacing them. I'm going to do to the crank case hopefully tomorrow. I'm due for my oil & filter change now. I'm going to wait to do the intake method until I've got a couple addtional parts here so it's a all-in-one deal.

But none the less, I wouldn't let that stuff stay in your oil like that. I don't think it's a good idea...

Well, I did the crankcase seafoam today.....at 2,990 miles since the last oil change....the oil was black as midnight! I've been using mobile one synth now for about 15k miles. The seafoam definetly cleaned out some junk. I get a big jug of the oil at walmart "5 quarts jug" and then a 1 quart. With the oil filter replacement, it calls for 5.4 quarts. I had about half a quart left on the shelf from my last oil change. After I drained out the old oil, I poured the rest of the new leftovers into the top, and watched it come flowing out the bottom, still black! But as it slowed down, it started to look like the new oil. I think I'll do this seafoam in the crank case thing a couple more times at oil changes. I recommend that if you do it, to have an extra quart of oil handy to flush out the old oil with. I let the car idle for 15 minutes with the seafoam in it.

She puuurrrrsssss.....but I too can hear those injectors going off. Oh well, just the way it is I guess.

I changed mine today. The oil was still very clean even with the seafoam in it. Oil only had about 500 miles on it. I guess my engine is clean inside, I hope anyways. Still runs the same, smooth and quiet. I am also using Mobil 1 5w-30. While I was at it, I changed the oil in my Camry too, the last place I took it too had the filter on so tight I didnt think I was going to be able to get it off.