2002 Rx300 Pre-purchase Questions

Topshelf

Hey all, newbie here. I'm looking to get my wife into a nice RX300. I found a 2002 silver with 61,000 miles, tan leather and heated seats that she really likes. Took it for a test drive and it seemed nice. I know that the transmissions and the engine sludge are the 2 concerns, so I was wondering if you guys could tell me exactly what it is that I should be looking for or trying to feel while driving the car that would tip me off to any problems. I did notice the tiniest ticking noise while idling, but it didn't sound like anything to be overly concerned about, but that's why I'm asking. I do have 1 relatively major concern though...there was an extreme amount of wind noise coming from the windshield. I went back today since nobody was there for a thorough check, and I noticed 2 things that I believe are causing it. First, the passenger side glass moulding is not tight from the mid-point down. I don't know how it's held in place, but this needs to be addressed. Secondly, the top of the windshield appears to have a gap between the moulding and the roof line. There was a '99 right next to it, and that was butted up tight as a drum. My guess is some second rate installer replaced the windshield. Do you think this could all be easily fixed by having a pro remove eveything and reinstall the windshield? If so, any idea on cost? I was thinking about $200. Lastly, do you think it would be a good deal for around $19,000-$19,500? They are asking $21k, but I figure between the new tires ($600), windshield reseal ($200?), transmission service ($150?), inspection ($100...currently NJ, need PA) and the 60k service ($500?) I should be able to get them down to about $19k. If not, there's way too many out there to overpay.

Thanks for any help you guys have to give on this as I'm looking to get the wife into something I don't have to be concerned about.

OH, one other question. I always hear people say to check the service records. How the heck do you do that? Can I just call up a Lexus dealer with the vin? Is it free? Or do I need to go into a dealer to have this done?

The transmission issues you have heard about are typically on the AWD models. You did not mention whether this was AWD or FWD.

Certainly something to think about.

Get it checked out by a Lexus dealer.

It will be the best couple of hundred bucks you spend.

Tom

Ah, forgot that. It's AWD. Is there a slipping or a banging or something you can feel that would warn you of the trans failure? I just located 2 white coach editions that I'm going to check out tomorrow now. One has 65k the other has 37k. I'd rather go with the 37k, but the 65k has the nav which I would love to get. Odd, I thought all coach's had the nav?

I have not experienced the failure in my AWD, but I have heard of various failure modes. Slipping, jerky shifting, burning smell, etc. Sometimes they linger and sometimes they die suddenly.

Certainly checking the service history at the Lexus dealer would be a first step.

But, it's no guarantee.

I have NAV in mine. I also have a new Garmin 7200 in my SC300. I like the Garmin unit better than the nav in the RX. But, that's merely a personal choice.

If you like the Coach edition then get it and add an aftermarket nav unit. You may even come out ahead on pricing.

Tom

Ah, forgot that. It's AWD. Is there a slipping or a banging or something you can feel that would warn you of the trans failure? I just located 2 white coach editions that I'm going to check out tomorrow now. One has 65k the other has 37k. I'd rather go with the 37k, but the 65k has the nav which I would love to get. Odd, I thought all coach's had the nav?

If there was already something wrong with the transmission, you would have REALLY noticed it. Next time you're looking at an Rx300, check the transmission fluid to make sure it's bright red/pink. If it's dark and has a burning smell, walk away!

I've experienced the failure on my old 99 Rx300 AWD. It wasn't pleasant! just make sure to look at the transmission fluid before you make any other moves.

To get the service records, and Lexus dealer should be able to bring those up for you ONLY if that car was serviced at a Lexus dealer. The owner could have done all ther services in their garage, therefore Lexus would never know.

A few months ago i asked my Lexus dealer to get the service history on my CPO rx300 i just bought last June. They are only able to "read" them off the somputer screen. They weren't allowed to print out a copy for me...don't ask why! LOL

And for all the Coach Editions having NAV, that's not true. The only thing Coach's have that other's dont is the single tone paint job v.s. the 2 tone, the preforated TAN only leather, and the yellow wood instead of the red/brown wood. Besides this, the NAV, heated seats and spoiler are (well, were) all options.

My old 2003 RX300 was a coach edition. All gold... It had navigation; everything possible.

The thing was ALWAYS broken. I personally haven't had much luck with the Rx300 series. I'm on my third, that's how much i love them! Personally, i like the feel and looks of the Rx300 better than any other Lexus made. The thing mechanically just doesn't have it :(

good luck!

Heck, I'll sell you ours for 19,500.

100% PERFECT in every way

Beige/Tan 61,700K miles, Major 60K just done at 59K miles, inc. tranny flush and brand new tires, black tubular running boards. Not one ding or dent. Never had any major problem, (or minor) New PA inspection

Devon, PA. let me know, I'll check back tomorrow to see if you have interest. This is a real good one

Jim

Beige/Tan 61,700K miles, Major 60K just done at 59K miles, inc. tranny flush and brand new tires, black tubular running boards. Not one ding or dent. Never had any major problem, (or minor) New PA inspection

Devon, PA. let me know, I'll check back tomorrow to see if you have interest. This is a real good one

Jim

Jim, I'm definitely interested. You have any pics? Does it have HID's and/or Heated seats? We're only about 45 minutes from each other, so I would be very interested in checking it out. You can either reply here or drop me a line at me e-mail addy if you want to take it off the board.

Thanks,

Paul

Everyone else, thanks for all the help. Checking the transmission dipstick was soo easy I never even thought of it. lol And I wonder if I'm wasting my money on the nav sometimes. I know there's better units out there, but I'm such a gadget guy and having it built in seems cooler. Soo lame! :P

Thanks again and I'll report back with my findings....and I'll be waiting to hear from you Jim.

Jim

Jim, I'm definitely interested. You have any pics? Does it have HID's and/or Heated seats? We're only about 45 minutes from each other, so I would be very interested in checking it out. You can either reply here or drop me a line at me e-mail addy if you want to take it off the board.

Thanks,

Paul

Everyone else, thanks for all the help. Checking the transmission dipstick was soo easy I never even thought of it. lol And I wonder if I'm wasting my money on the nav sometimes. I know there's better units out there, but I'm such a gadget guy and having it built in seems cooler. Soo lame! :P

Thanks again and I'll report back with my findings....and I'll be waiting to hear from you Jim.

The IM feature isn't working for me.

You can email me jrl1194@aol.com, I'll give you my phone number and we can chat

Loaded, all options except nav

If there was already something wrong with the transmission, you would have REALLY noticed it. Next time you're looking at an Rx300, check the transmission fluid to make sure it's bright red/pink. If it's dark and has a burning smell, walk away!

I've experienced the failure on my old 99 Rx300 AWD. It wasn't pleasant! just make sure to look at the transmission fluid before you make any other moves.

To get the service records, and Lexus dealer should be able to bring those up for you ONLY if that car was serviced at a Lexus dealer. The owner could have done all ther services in their garage, therefore Lexus would never know.

A few months ago i asked my Lexus dealer to get the service history on my CPO rx300 i just bought last June. They are only able to "read" them off the somputer screen. They weren't allowed to print out a copy for me...don't ask why! LOL

And for all the Coach Editions having NAV, that's not true. The only thing Coach's have that other's dont is the single tone paint job v.s. the 2 tone, the preforated TAN only leather, and the yellow wood instead of the red/brown wood. Besides this, the NAV, heated seats and spoiler are (well, were) all options.

My old 2003 RX300 was a coach edition. All gold... It had navigation; everything possible.

The thing was ALWAYS broken. I personally haven't had much luck with the Rx300 series. I'm on my third, that's how much i love them! Personally, i like the feel and looks of the Rx300 better than any other Lexus made. The thing mechanically just doesn't have it :(

good luck!

It's weird here, EVERYONE I know who either owns these or owned one had very little to no problems.

My friend had a 99, the only thing that went was a starter at 90K, $350. All he did was follow the regular services. They have very strong resale and do huge numbers at the auctions (for the decent ones) and the not so decent still do very well