Oxygen Sensor Locations

In looking thru my factory service manual it looks like there are 3 o2 sensors on the ex manifold, from the picture it looks like you want the one closest to the head on the ex manifold and closest to the front of the motor. the picture sort of shows that the ex manifold is split between the front 3 cyclinders and the rear 3, again you want the one closest to the front of the car. The one located lower on the front half is Bank 1 Sensor 2 and the one one the rear portion(the rear 3 cyclinders) of the ex manifold is Bank 2 Sensor 1..Hope this helps..I have a 98 gs400 so I can't look under my hood to help ya but the factory manual Vol 2 pg EC-8 is where I found the diagram

In looking thru my factory service manual it looks like there are 3 o2 sensors on the ex manifold, from the picture it looks like you want the one closest to the head on the ex manifold and closest to the front of the motor. the picture sort of shows that the ex manifold is split between the front 3 cyclinders and the rear 3, again you want the one closest to the front of the car. The one located lower on the front half is Bank 1 Sensor 2 and the one one the rear portion(the rear 3 cyclinders) of the ex manifold is Bank 2 Sensor 1..Hope this helps..I have a 98 gs400 so I can't look under my hood to help ya but the factory manual Vol 2 pg EC-8 is where I found the diagram

hey buddy,

thanks so much for looking through the manual for me. it's greatly appreciated.

the only reason why i put the post up was because of this site:

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/...0Sensor&dp=true

they say that the lower sensor on the front most manifold is sensor 1:

"Oxygen Sensor

Center

You need to picture this inline 6 engine from front (radiator side) to rear (firewall side). With this in mind, this is the CENTER sensor. This is located on the exhaust manifold, for spark plug #s 1/2/3. Also referred to as the #1 sensor. Year: 8/1997-12/2004"

and then:

"Front

4 wire You need to picture this inline 6 engine from front (radiator side) to rear (firewall side). With this in mind, this is the FRONT sensor. This is located on the exhaust manifold, for spark plug #s 1/2/3. Also referred to as the #2 sensor. "

as you can see they're saying that the lower first manifold sensor is referred to as #1 and the upper front manifold sensor is referred to as #2.

thanks again!

hey buddy,

thanks so much for looking through the manual for me. it's greatly appreciated.

the only reason why i put the post up was because of this site:

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/...0Sensor&dp=true

they say that the lower sensor on the front most manifold is sensor 1:

"Oxygen Sensor

Center

You need to picture this inline 6 engine from front (radiator side) to rear (firewall side). With this in mind, this is the CENTER sensor. This is located on the exhaust manifold, for spark plug #s 1/2/3. Also referred to as the #1 sensor. Year: 8/1997-12/2004"

and then:

"Front

4 wire You need to picture this inline 6 engine from front (radiator side) to rear (firewall side). With this in mind, this is the FRONT sensor. This is located on the exhaust manifold, for spark plug #s 1/2/3. Also referred to as the #2 sensor. "

as you can see they're saying that the lower first manifold sensor is referred to as #1 and the upper front manifold sensor is referred to as #2.

thanks again!

Just a word of warning, I had a problem with autopartswarehouse. They sent me the wrong sensor for my IS. Their site was confusing and contradicting. Then they tried to charge me $24 for a restocking fee! I found oxygensensors.com to be very helpful. They list the OEM part number that the aftermarket sensor replaces. They even have diagrams with wire length and connector shape. You can even call and ask them. They are very friendly and helpful. Hope you get this in time, if not good luck. If autpartswarehouse sends you the wrong part, e-mail or call them and ask them to waive the restock fee. I ended up just paying for return shipping.

Good luck,

Penderman

• 16 years later...