Random Cold Start Faliures Require Push On Gas To Fix

ChicagoScoobie

Has anyone experienced a problem where their rx300 fails on a cold start? The engine sounds fine, but when I release the ignition key, the engine shuts off but the battery runs fine. This has happened when it was 7 degrees and 70 degrees outside. If I hear that the engine is not going to catch, I can pump the gas briefly and then the car starts. The car will run normally once it starts. I have been to 2 Lexus dealers in the Chicago area and neiter one has solved the problem, but they took plenty of my money. :cries:

Any suggestions?

Has anyone experienced a problem where their rx300 fails on a cold start? The engine sounds fine, but when I release the ignition key, the engine shuts off but the battery runs fine. This has happened when it was 7 degrees and 70 degrees outside. If I hear that the engine is not going to catch, I can pump the gas briefly and then the car starts. The car will run normally once it starts. I have been to 2 Lexus dealers in the Chicago area and neiter one has solved the problem, but they took plenty of my money.:cries:

Any suggestions?

Possibly the IACV if I understand your question correctly. Are you saying you sometimes have to open the throttle( i.e. "pump the gas") slightly to keep it running immediately after it starts or to get it to start? In any case, it wouldn't hurt to have this idle air control valve cleaned. It is a fairly simply task.

• 5 months later...

Yes, your understanding of the problem is correct. My apologies for the delayed response. My hard drive crashed and I could not remember the URL for this site. I will try to clean the IACV.

Has anyone experienced a problem where their rx300 fails on a cold start? The engine sounds fine, but when I release the ignition key, the engine shuts off but the battery runs fine. This has happened when it was 7 degrees and 70 degrees outside. If I hear that the engine is not going to catch, I can pump the gas briefly and then the car starts. The car will run normally once it starts. I have been to 2 Lexus dealers in the Chicago area and neiter one has solved the problem, but they took plenty of my money.:cries:

Any suggestions?

Possibly the IACV if I understand your question correctly. Are you saying you sometimes have to open the throttle( i.e. "pump the gas") slightly to keep it running immediately after it starts or to get it to start? In any case, it wouldn't hurt to have this idle air control valve cleaned. It is a fairly simply task.

I found an excellent post that explains how to clean the IACV and the throttle body. I will try it tomorrow.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=30723

Yup, give this post a try. Let me know if you have any questions. Shouldn't be too difficult and shouldn't cost you that much money! Just a little bit of time.