Update On Check Eng Light

914lps

:cha OK here is what I first posted:

"My check eng light on my 91 LS 400 has been going on and off. ODB 1 so it will not hold a code. When down to about 2 gal of gas light comes on. Fill up, light goes off... Until today. It finailly stayed on. Had it read. Got an EGR messadge. So what am I most likly in for?"

One of the responces talked about a posable vacum leak. So with the car running (and yes the check eng light was still on) I sprayed carb cleaner around the vacum lines to look for a leak. The car's idle did not change, etc. So no sighn of a leak.

I go to turn car off and the chec eng light is now Off!

It is now two tanks of gas later and 600 miles and the light has not come back on.

Could it be fixed?????????

I'm on the brink of permanently remove the check engine light bulb from dash board. This annoying light comes on every 400-600 or so miles I drove :censored:

For the past 4 years of ownership the light came on for the following reason: First is the vacuum leak, next is the EGR modulator, then the Vacuum modulator, after that the EGR valve, followed by the cam positioning sensor, next is the rear o2 sensor, followed by the EGR modulator going bad again.....Other than that the car's been pretty much trouble free. Oh, and I do use premium fuel only.

914lps, hope this makes you feel better

Can i suggest, try one last time, since these check lite coming are stored in the ECU memory, i suggest u have hte ignition off, remove the EFI fuse, and insert after 30-60 seconds. Then remove the negative terminal (-) and kept off for 3-4 mts and then fix back. Go for a trial and let me know. Basically the triggering mechanism of this checklight is the ECU detecting these malfunctions which are related to the sensors or actuators.This ECU self diagnoses this blink pattern of check lite and stores them in the ECU memory.. These memory stored can only be removed by the EFI fuse(20A) in the ignitor fuse box.

Can i suggest, try one last time, since these check lite coming are stored in the ECU memory, i suggest u have hte ignition off, remove the EFI fuse, and insert after 30-60 seconds. Then remove the negative terminal (-) and kept off for 3-4 mts and then fix back. Go for a trial and let me know. Basically the triggering mechanism of this checklight is the ECU detecting these malfunctions which are related to the sensors or actuators.This ECU self diagnoses this blink pattern of check lite and stores them in the ECU memory.. These memory stored can only be removed by the EFI fuse(20A) in the ignitor fuse box.

I had the "Memory" reset or cleared, depending on how you look at it. Check eng light has not come back on...

Before that I but a new gas cap on. It was a cheep 7.00 to spend to see if that was it, but still got the light coming on after the new cap was put on. And I put it on tight. Light only whent off after I checked for a vacum leak with carb cleaner spray. with engein running.

But last night I think the water pump froze and took the timing belt.... Had car towed to the shop will know later today. Thank god 91 LS is a non-interferance eng. It has been about 90,000 miles since the water pump and belt had been changed...

But the good news is the check eng light is still staying off, and yes the bulb is good, becouse it does light when you first turn the ingnition on (when all dash lights come one).

But car will not start at all. Starter sounds like it is turning eng over... Was going down the road at about 80 when bingo!, Total loss of power. Something smelled like burning rubber. I though the serepentin belt went, but it is fine. I'll know later today, but if it is not pump and timing belt, I'll do them anyway, yes I know they are past due :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...