Lexus Leather Tanning Info & Conditioning...

For anyone interested, Lexus used a spray-on tanning process for their leather in the first generation ES300 (and other early models). This process is more economical, but it is not as good as vat dying or hand tanning (the latter being the best). This spray-on process actually blocks the natural pores in the leather and prevents them from taking up most conditioning products.

I find that when I use Lexol, it feels better for a couple of days and then reverts to the old hard leather feeling again. It just does not penetrate the leather as deeply, and therefore does not condition as well. In fact, my seats had become somewhat brittle and my rear bench seat split at the seam from becoming so dried up :angry: (even though I was using Lexol twice a month).

I use a leather restoration/conditioner from Griots (Griots Garage) and it works really well. It restored my old tired seats to like new on the first use, and its effects last much longer than Lexol. The first time you use it, you will need to leave it in longer than on consecutive uses. I now treat them 2 times a year with the restorer and they stay in great shape. I have never tried the cocoa butter so I can't vouch for that.

The newer generation of ES300's (and others) have a higher grade of leather (probably vat dyed) than the 1st generation and it is much easier to treat the 97+ w/ Lexol. My dad recently purchased a 2003 LS 430 and his leather surfaces are some of the best I've seen yet from Lexus, but I still think that the Europeans have the nicest leather in production autos

I had the strong feeling that the first gen-ES used "protected" leather, although it does seem to soak up conditioner much better than some of the Detroit leather that's practically vinyl. Even on the LS430, "semi-aniline" leather is an optional upgrade (I think it may be standard on the SC430, which seems to have some of the nicest leather I've seen on any car with a 5 digit price tag.)

That may be true in most cases, but the connoley leather that Jag uses is very soft as well. However, I still think that the European leather holds up much better over the long haul. I have seen (and owned) several Mercedes Benz cars from the 60's-80's where the leather is still in great overall condition - even when the rest of the interior is showing age.

I am not at all impressed with the quality of the leater in my '95 ES300, however my 89 190E is in great shape and has retained its original flexibility and suppleness.

bran, Actually connely leather had been used on the LS400 until they switched to Regency leather for the whole line. Never heard of regency leather, but it sure seems nice LOL. I do agree, the Connoly hides are awesome.

As for the euro leather holding up better, I agree thats true but I feel its definately a tradeoff in softness. With some care the Japanese leather will last a long time too, but you can just ignore the euro hides and they'll be fine.

As for the semi-analine, its only availiable on the LS with the CL or UL packages. The leather on the SC is the same regency leather found in the others.