Generation 1 Lexux Link For Vehicles Through 2004

BizTravler

:chairshot:

Gave my 2004 GX470 for scheduled service. Found out that Lexus is "paying" to remove the Lexus Link feature sold on vehicles manufatured through 2004. Excuse being that the carriers (cell/satellite) are discountinuing analog signals and replacing them with digital. This Generation 1 Lexus Link is NOT compatible with digital. Hence Lexus is running a campaign via dealers to "remove" the feature at no charge. very sneaky.

THAT IS JUST WRONG.

No plans to upgrade the feature - why not? It was sold for a reson.

We are talking a 2004 car that costs excess of $50K - not an old vintage. We are talking Lexus, not Chevy or GM - we paid good money to drive this brand plus, paid for the feature of Lexus Link, a factory installed option sold by the delaership as a feature to have for the safety of your loved ones. How can they remove the service that was bought and subscribed anualy for a hefty price, for safety, for comfort without any obligation to owners?

Either upgrade the equiprment at no charge or REFUND the money charged for buying the hardware of this feature - over $1K. It is bad business sense and it reflects poor regard for customers and obligation to provide moral service to its clients. If Lexus did not have the foresight (2 years) ago to see this coming, they are in trouble as a business. They certainly knew this - the 2005 models did not have the Lexus Link option - so it was planned. Am I the only person making a big deal here? Its like seeling a furnace for heat and then discontinuing gas service with no obligation and regard for the customer.

I guess that is part of their customer satisfaction strategy. Same reason they won't back their lousy transmission in the RX300 AWD. Have a great day./

I understand that - Feds have allowed carriers to discontinue offering analog by 2008 as an option. Its 2006 now - why bail out now? Plus, a good service provider or a reputed company like Lexus that sells high price tag cars ought to differentiate themselves by ensuring continued service to their valued customers. The real issue is their dodging the cost and blaming service incompatibality - an argument that is weak at best. Upgrade your technology and ensure it supports your existing base of customer, especially, 2 year old base. What do we expect from Lexus - service excellence, a cut above the others. Or they can be the average company and act like average. Risk to that for a corporation you may ask? $50K+ loss, one customer at a time. Cannot offer Feds as excuse all the time. Got to own up your shortfall and suck it up. Cannot upgarde? No problem - reimburse the selling cost for a factory installed option - a selling feature advertised in their publications. Cannot take money and run...without consequences.

Unfortunately thats the issue when it comes to installing technology in vehicles that is dependent on other service carriers to remain active. Thats why car companies have stopped selling integrated car phone systems. My dad paid $1500 for a built in car phone in his 98 LS that was useless by 2000 because it was outdated. Thats just kind of how technology works.