Tranny Question

madlooper

I was looking for a little advice ... I have a 1992 SC400 that has not been driven since July of 05 due to tranny problems. I was considering a rebuild kit or should I replace it with a used one out of

a wrecked car.

(Plano Lexus quoted $800.00 for kit). I found several trannys from salvage yards from the Dallas area from 400.00 to 800.00 but I am not sure of the history on the salvaged trannys or if I do get some history on the car is it honest information. I have the Lexus repair manuals and a brother that is a good mechanic that would help with the rebuild so I feel that might be the best way. Any help in this, would help me in getting my car back on the road and would make me a happy camper.

Thanks ..... madlooper

go find a good shop that can rebuild it. i had my LS trans rebuilt last month for just about $2000. i personaly know the mechanic, he has a shop near the shop i work at.

but i think that is the price of a normal rebuild there.

bottom line find a good independant shop that is certified to do auto trans.

Hello,

Before your transmissions blew, did you all ever hear a brief squeeling that sounded like it was coming from under the shifter in the mornings. I started having problems shifting into 2nd the morning after a long road trip during Christmas. A couple of blocks down the road, all felt great. The next morning, same thing. Then, after driving 1,000+ miles home, I stopped having problems. However, just a couple of days ago I started hearing a squeeling at start-up, when cold. But haven't detected anymore shifting problems.

-and I just found out the my power steering pump and rack are going bad

-my A/C doesn't blow cold and there is an air-like sound when I press the A/C button.

-There is a unknown vibration... motor mount??

-I think my amp is about to blow, as i'm getting pops and volume loss.

Man!!...I don't know if I can sweat this.

I'm a maintenance freak... I don't deserve this. I'm at 142K. I realize it's 13 years old, but this car was suppose to hold up better I thought. My parents abuse the sh*t out of their 88' Acura Legend w/ 190K and it's hanging in there.

Thx for listening...lol

It is know that Second gear is the weak link in the transmission. At 450-500hp the second gear on the tranny fails, never first or third. That has been said to me from several Lextremists...These trannies are solid and should go for 300,000 miles if maintained properly.. I know this for a fact....

that squeeling noise might be due to a clogged filter in the trans or the cork gasket has shrunk and is now letting air get sucked between the trans and filter.

try changing your trans filter, i had a problem with symptoms you describe and it gave my trans a new breath of life.

its only about 50 bucks.

oh and if it cures it and few months later it comes back. you need to change the filter again becasue burned clutch material may flake off and clog your filter again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/30-40LE-LEX...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats a link to a transmission on ebay from a 96 sc400. I bought a few parts from the guy and was very happy. I doubt you would be disappointed if you ended up getting the transmission from him. He's parted out an entire sc400 and everything I received was exactly as described (perfect shape). He only wants $200 for it. Thought this might be worth mentioning.