My Car Not Pickup Very Fast - Why ?

maniek_LS

Hi All :-)

My engine is now rebuild. Changed one piston, all sparks, wires, coils caps, 'fingers, and timing belt + water pump.

I expected that LS will start very fast (there should be 245horsepower), faster than camry - but is not :-(

When engine reaches 3500RPM acceleration is fantastic, but lower is poor.

I checked ECU errors (no any), reseted it - still the same.

I think about two possibilities - catalyst or lambda sensors (two are changed to Bosch by previous owner)

From low engine RPMs I fill like driving car with big trailer :-( or maybe it is normal behavior of lexus LS 400 ?

On dry road (when I switch TRC off) there is no way to "burn tire" - engine has no power to do this :-(

What can be damaged ?

Thank you..

• 2 weeks later...

How can you check timing on these cars? Ive got a 91 ls400 w/the 4.0 v8. Thanks for any pointers!!!

Hi J-roc,

You can check the timing with a standard strobe light. You have to connect the diagnostic terminals TE1 to E1 together which disables the throttle position sensor and puts the ECU in idle mode. You then hook the strobe onto the lead going to cylinder 6 (found under the cover going from the left bank to the right bank at the front of the engine) and set it to four cylinder setting. You should see the timing mark on the crank aligned with the 10 degree before top dead centre mark on the block. I have yet to do this but for thats what the manual for my 92 says. I am going to post a tutorial of this on Lexls site as soon as the weather gets warmer!!

Cheers,

Leadfoot.