My Gs400 Popped A Code!

SRK

I was turning down a side road on Friday and just easing into the gas when the engine lost almost all power - check engine light lit up, and VSC lights came on to tell me it was offline. Engine cooling fans fired up. So coasting along I noted that the engine was at near idle speed, running smoothly. Kept going (quiet road) and coasted to a Volvo repair shop/wrecking yard I do business with. Got into their big paved lot and shut the car off. Re-started, lights back on, no real throttle response. Their scanner wasn't new enough, so I phoned for a ramp truck and took the car to the dealer. The dealer was 25 miles away at that point!!!!

So $105.00 later for the move (not too bad I thought) I backed the car off the ramp, and the lights were off!!! Engine running normally. Well, no time like the present, told the service rep I was going to leave the car anyways, let them find the code, and fix it.

I suspect that the throttle position sensor has failed. Engine went into limp home, ran smoothly, no stink in the exhaust, just a code and no throttle. Never did bury the throttle just tried about halfway, and nothing really happened.

For now I have a 2004 ES300 loaner, and on Monday their best tech will find the trouble and I can have the GS back. Not really a fan of the ES, but its a nice car nonetheless.

I will let y'all know what happens from here.

Miss the GS already..... :cries:

I had the samething happen to my gs about 2 months ago. It stopped doing this and haven't seen again. I'd be curious to see what the tech. finds out for you. Let me know what you find out in case I have it happen again. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

So has anyone ever heard of a Lexus needing a new ECM? The dealer says the code indicates an ECM failure, and they admit that they have never sold a new one ever. They are conferring with Lexus Technical staff back east, and will then get back to me. I get the feeling they don't want to sell an ECM until they are sure.

So maybe the glitch was one of those little transients.....?

well ... here is the good news ... you don't need a new ECM ... bad news is it will still cost you about $500 ... i sugest telling the rep to clean your trottle body while his in there ...

oh yeah its a TPS Sensor ... and most likely your pedal position sensor ... its tied in with the TPS ...

well geuss can't give anymore info then that...

Shoe

Shoe - is there a pedal position sensor in addition to a throttle position sensor?

I will try and get the code number today - they claim that on the repair flowchart that particular number is specific to "replace ECM", but I find that hard to believe.

Thanks,

SRK

Code is 1633.

I went to the dealer today and they gave me the car back. Advised me not to put any gas in the ES loaner. No charge on the GS so far, they are even holding the $100.00 towing charge. They are not eager to replace the ECU and still waiting to hear from Toyota-Lexus technical help. Apparently there was an ECU problem on a run of 1998 GS400's, but mine is outside that particular VIN range. If the problem happens again the dealer will attempt to get a "good will" ECU from them at no or reduced cost.

Can't complain about service like that.

The GS runs like before, perfectly. I just don't want to go on a long trip out of town yet. Nice to have it back, that's for sure.

i can't quite remember if that was the code or not ... but i promise you its not the ecu ... you would have known if it was the ecu ... its the tps sensor ... PPS sonsor is being affected because of your TPS sonsor ... your TPS sonsor might have carbon build up ... either way get it repaired at the shop and when their replacing the sonsor tell them to clean the trottle body ...

Shoe

SRK, the exact same thing happened to me when I was test driving a 1998 GS300 before I bought my LS400. We pulled out of the lot, went about 300 yards and the lights came on, throttle went dead and we drifted into the center median of the road. I thought it was out of gas "less than 1/4 tank". Turned off the car, let it sit for a minute, then turned it back on, and it was fine. I filled it up, and had it all weekend "one of our lease turn in's". Never happened again.

To answer your question about has anyone had to replace the ecm on their lexus? Yes, I had to. It seems like quite a few 95-96 LS owners have had to due to either the car stalling out after a highway cruise, or an off-throttle-shock syndrom around 40mph "mine had that". If I recall, not a cheap part. Something like $1,200-$1,500??

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the update. I have driven the car daily for nearly two weeks, did over 200km's today on the highway, and it runs like it always has, perfectly. No codes, no lights. The dealer thinks it is just a one time "anomaly", and I hope they are right.

I sure do like these GS400's, because I smoked a BMW 745Li today going up the mountains on the highway. He didn't or couldn't stay with me. I found some tire noise in the corners, especially going over some rolling bumps, and thought "Gee whiz the car is a bit loose, needs shocks maybe" as the BMW dropped far back in the mirror. Then I looked at the speedo - 140 kph in a 70kph zone! No wonder. The damn car is so quiet, so effortless when going fast, I just didn't notice. Mr. BMW noticed.

All is well. For now.