Do I really have a Pioneer Radio??

As you may know, I'm in the middle of researching a radio swap in my 2000 ES300. I've posted my OEM radio removal guide in the workshop. Click here to download the document. In one of the last photos, you can see the sticker on the back of the radio - it says Pioneer.

In looking at dash kits for a double DIN replacement, I keep coming across this type of diagram radio.gif fascia

OEM_Radio_bottom_front-1.jpg radio

It clearly shows that the radio I have (AM/FM/TAPE/CD buttons arrayed on the right side) is a Nakamichi!!!

Any guesses as to what I really have? A Pioneer knock-off of a Nakamichi?

Tom

• 5 months later...

your actual radio is Pioneer... if it says pioneer on the back of it, well it's a pioneer. unless you opted for the 9-speaker (?) nakamichi system, you got the stock pioneer 7 speaker system. unless you paid more... it's pioneer. it'll be hard to find a double din trim kit as well. most for the ES300's are all single-din's. unless you go custom.

Zeta,

I see you've been digging through the archives! I fixed the image link so it shows the picture in my post. See that fascia in the lower left, labeled "Nakimichi"? Look at my Pioneer radio photo - it's a match. Got me wondering just who puts the stickers on these things and who really builds them!

Anyway, I've given up for now on swapping my OEM "Pionaki" radio. It's not even in a single DIN slot; its a custom slot , close to a DIN but with doghouses out each side. No one sells fascia plates either.

Tom

• 2 months later...

As you may know, I'm in the middle of researching a radio swap in my 2000 ES300. I've posted my OEM radio removal guide in the workshop. Click here to download the document. In one of the last photos, you can see the sticker on the back of the radio - it says Pioneer.

In looking at dash kits for a double DIN replacement, I keep coming across this type of diagram radio.gif fascia

OEM_Radio_bottom_front-1.jpg radio

It clearly shows that the radio I have (AM/FM/TAPE/CD buttons arrayed on the right side) is a Nakamichi!!!

Any guesses as to what I really have? A Pioneer knock-off of a Nakamichi?

Tom

At one point in time Toyota corp. had agreemnets with both Pioneer and Nakamichi. The visiual design of the unit could not change but the componets of the unit did differ. The lables on the backs of the units would indenitfi them as to what type you had. i hope this helps. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...