Steering Issues

Mine's a '93 with 125k, and I'm getting an occasional 'drift' in my steering at speeds over 65mph. It doesn't happen when I hit bumps, just going straight and smooth. It's like there's some play in the steering somewhere. It forces me to correct my direction just like when you're trying to drive in high winds blowing every which way. I'll be holding the wheel completely still, and all of a sudden the direction shifts a fraction of a degree - sometimes self-correcting if I just keep the wheel straight without trying to correct it myself. :huh:

I suspect that if I go through and just replace all my suspension and linkage bushings everything will tighten up. I doubt that it would be a rack&pinion issue.

Anybody out there experienced this before? Advice?

Thanks.

try and jack up the front of the car and see if you can turn the wheel by your hands( you have to push kind of hard back and forth to see if anything moves. if it does then try to find out where it is because it could also be your inner tie rods that are worn and have play in them.

if there is movement then take the undercover off and look at the steering rack. look at where it mounts and try to determine if the mounts are worn.

the bushings should cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 bucks?

• 6 months later...

Mine's a '93 with 125k, and I'm getting an occasional 'drift' in my steering at speeds over 65mph. It doesn't happen when I hit bumps, just going straight and smooth. It's like there's some play in the steering somewhere. It forces me to correct my direction just like when you're trying to drive in high winds blowing every which way. I'll be holding the wheel completely still, and all of a sudden the direction shifts a fraction of a degree - sometimes self-correcting if I just keep the wheel straight without trying to correct it myself. :huh:

I suspect that if I go through and just replace all my suspension and linkage bushings everything will tighten up. I doubt that it would be a rack&pinion issue.

Anybody out there experienced this before? Advice?

Thanks.

How did you resolve your drift problem? I have the same issue with my 93 SC300. Mechanic says the passenger side is bushings, and the driver side bushings can only be replaced with a new rack! Sounds like overkill, and very expensive. Thanks !

How did you resolve your drift problem? I have the same issue with my 93 SC300. Mechanic says the passenger side is bushings, and the driver side bushings can only be replaced with a new rack! Sounds like overkill, and very expensive. Thanks !

Never got around to it. In fact, I probably won't for some time now. My alternator finally died on me this morning from the P.S. pump having leaked on it for such a long time. Fortunately though the car didn't die on me while driving. I simply couldn't get it started. So there goes my weekend - I'll be replacing both the P.S. pump and alternator. I'm just glad I'm not one of those poor fellas who doesn't know how to work on there own car. Otherwise I'm sure I'd be coughing up some nice change to get these two parts replaced by the dealer (or any other mechanic).