Car Lurches When Put Into Gear

Sweet95LS400

I finally got my 95 LS400 from Arizona. It just arrived last night. Everything is perfect on it, the car literally looks like it is new. It drives like new as well. The Nakamichi sound system is the best i have heard.

The car has about 80k on it right now, the only thing I could find wrong with it is that when you put it in reverse or drive the car kind of lurches foward or backwards. Its a very smooth shift, when driving everything is very smooth and quiet. No vibrations at all.

Is this probably just the famous motor and transmission mounts getting soft?

I finally got my 95 LS400 from Arizona. It just arrived last night. Everything is perfect on it, the car literally looks like it is new. It drives like new as well. The Nakamichi sound system is the best i have heard.

The car has about 80k on it right now, the only thing I could find wrong with it is that when you put it in reverse or drive the car kind of lurches foward or backwards. Its a very smooth shift, when driving everything is very smooth and quiet. No vibrations at all.

Is this probably just the famous motor and transmission mounts getting soft?

Replacing those two items will help, but it won't get rid of it completely. All of us 95-97 guys have this same problem. Do a search on here and you'll see a lot of info about it. It's when the engine is cold right? The RPM's are high because "thanks to the EPA" the engine must idle higher at start up, to get up to temp quicker, which reduces pollution. It's just a characteristic of the car's age. Mine does it, Blake's does it...it's a strange thing. You can reduce it with new motor and tranny mounts, rear differential mounting bushing "look under it from the back..see the differential? See two round black pieces on the cross frame...that be them". I also recommend a tranny "drain and fill" on the fluid....you know to use ONLY Toyota Type IV fluid by now right? That you don't want to mess with. Don't take it to Jiffy-town and have them powerflush it. They don't use the right fluid, and will not accept yours.

ahhh...the famous lurch. ... I tell ya' and I can't explain why, but I scrubbed out my throttle body and housing a few weeks ago, and it seemed to help quite a bit too.....it helped...it didn't get rid of it.

Blake and I have chased that damn thing all over the place. He's convinced it's in the differential "normal wear and tear". I think it's in the driveshaft linkage connectors; slack created over the years. Elvis thinks it's something about some blue sweade shoes.....There's no tellin'. A good guy to PM would be Bi-col on this. I think he got his down to minimal standards.

We all just usually let the car warm up.

Yeah, just about all of them do it as they age. :( http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...wtopic=9048&hl=

I do think it's probably something either in the differential or transmission. I noticed that my car has a lot of slack...like when it's parked on an incline, it'll roll forward or backward more than what seems normal.