Oxygen Sensor Replacement

lexus400

I just changed the original (pre cat) sensors on my '91 with 170k. It was running fine/no check engine light. Man, what a difference. I've had a slight "dead" spot in the acceleration since I bought the car 8 years ago.

Moral of the story, install new ones if you have more than 80k miles. You will notice a difference. I got two Denso universals for about $110. I'm going to start changing these more proactively rather than waiting for a code...

Bob

Lex400, I think my 94 with 110,000 miles has that same "dead spot" when accelerating lightly, so I'm wondering if there is a tutorial for replacing those original sensors? I'm no ace mechanic, so I'm wondering if it is a tough job? And, of course, where is the best place to buy the sensors?

Thanks for the response. My car runs great, except when I decided to use it sparingly over the winter, and the battery was found dead when I returned from 10 days in Hawaii. Think the Lexi was telling me something about being lonely and ignored.

www.lexls.com

is where u'll find a lot of tutorials for the LS... but mainly for 1st Gen. But i'm sure there r similarities

Good luck

Tom

I just changed the original (pre cat) sensors on my '91 with 170k. It was running fine/no check engine light. Man, what a difference. I've had a slight "dead" spot in the acceleration since I bought the car 8 years ago.

Moral of the story, install new ones if you have more than 80k miles. You will notice a difference. I got two Denso universals for about $110. I'm going to start changing these more proactively rather than waiting for a code...

Bob

Funny, for me I would test the sensors and maybe save myself some $$$$.

I've had a slight "dead" spot in the acceleration since I bought the car 8 years ago.

My LS has a slight (~1/4 second) hesitation at ~1200RPM in the first gear when accelerating lightly from stop. Does this sound like the "dead" spot your new O2 sensor fixed? Is there a web link to the O2 you purchased? Thanks.

yes, it does. I looked at it this way, with 170k I was on borrowed time anyway. For a little over $100 it's the same principal I apply to replacing my car battery. After 4 years it goes...

I'll dig up the website. The receipt was not the same company name as the website. I got the Denso's.

Bob