Better Headlight Output In 94 Es

CUMan

For as long as we have owned our 94 ES (11 1/2 years now), my wife has complained about the poor low beam headlights. I have to agree that they are pitiful and some time ago I switched to Silverstars. This made some difference but not significantly so.

Some months ago, I read the posts about switching from 9006 low beam bulbs to 9005. I believe Toysrme was the one who brought up the subject. As usual, I procrastinated and never got around to trying this out.

Last week, I finally tried this. It does make a significant difference - much more than the switch to Silverstars.

The 9005 and 9006 bulbs have at least three differences. The center tabs which hold the bulbs in place are slightly different, and the 9005 bulb is 60 watts while the 9006 is 55 watts. (I believe the 9005's also come in 65 watts, but I couldn't find any of these.) Also the 9006 bulbs have a blackened front end which the 9005's do not have.

The modification needed to make this switch work is easy. The 9005 bulb has a center tab (plastic) which is about 5/16" in diameter. What is needed is to cut off about 3/16" of the left side of this tab. (I used a hacksaw.) The bulb will then fit into the cavity where the 9006 bulb now is. The electrical plugs are the same, so no modification is needed there. The wattage is only 5 watts higher, so I can't see any overheated connector or wiring being a problem.

I was concerned that the light output would be such that folks would starting flashing their high beams; however, this has not happened.

Another thing I will add, and I think this has been discussed before. Don't rely on the accuracy of the built-in bubble levels that are supposed to tell you how well the headlights are aimed. When the bubbles are centered on our car, the headlight beams are aimed much too low. I think Lexus really missed the mark on the design of these levels.

Ya, the bubbles are pretty weak. The best thing to do is ride around town at night until you find somewhere flat with a wall 20-25' away.

Measure the distance from the ground to the center of the lens, them measure the distance from the ground to the cut-off on the wall. They should be the same thing.

Like you said, the wiring, relays, harnesses, housing. Everything is identical to the 65w high-beams.

Ya, LoL! Light output is better (Especially when put against old halogen bulbs), but not really a huge change. I remember when I did mine I could actually drive around without the foglights on all the time.

Welp, I'm glad it all worked out for you! (I recommend doing it alot, but I didn't come up with it - old trick)

A quick Google search tells me that the 97-01 ES models use an H7 bulb for the low beams and a 9005 for the high beams. Just looking at a picture of the H7's in a J. C. Whitney catalog, it appears that the bulbs are significantly different. The H7 appears to have a metal frame and a straight-on connection. The 9005-06 bulbs have plastic frames and have 90 degree connections. The H7 also appears to be somewhat "fatter" in diameter.

That being said, the only way you could be certain is to remove the H7 and the 9005 and compare the bulb bases and the connectors.