Help! Transmission Issue? 93 Es300

jonwilli

I am having an issue with my 93 es300 transmission (120k miles). I have read hours of other posts within this site and others and it sounds like there is no need for a new transmission. (Although the dealer that test drove it said otherwise and put a price tag of $6000 for a new one, from them, all with only about 100k mi. on the tranny. That was the last time I visited that place. :censored: ) Anyway, almost 3 years later, I am still seeing the problem come up on occasions. I think there is some slippage occuring between drive and overdrive. This happens when going about 75-85 mph and punching the gas to get some acceleration. It shifts to a lower gear, then back, then lower, then back, like it is trying to stayin the lower gear, but won't. It is really annoying when traveling in the mountains. I plan on doing the tranny flush using methods of NOT removing the pan. (Unfortunately, I don't have the available space.) If I did proceed to remove the pan and clean the screen, is there a good chance this could be the culpret? Being I don't have a trusted mechanic yet (Denver area), I am weary of pursuing more professional servicing and diagnosis until I have exhausted all of my resources first. Anyone else have or had this problem? Any ideas? :cries:

I already adjusted that slightly and there was little if any change, especially in the higher gears. In that previous kick down cable discussion, it was based mostly on low gears. Should this concept work for the higher gears as well? If so, would you suggest a more extreme adjustment? Keep in mind, I still have all my gears as I know it. My car will still do well over 100mph.

It works for all gears. I agree with SKperformance. Adjust the TV cable to the tighter side. It sounds like the transmission is hunting to figure out which gear it should be in & lugging into it when it does.

Since you've gone through all the posts, I'm sure you know after you do that more if it's funny we're gonna say flush it! :)

The filter could do it/old fluid/low fluid. It's just a little mesh screen you wipe off with your finger. personally, my feelings on the filter is that it's not normally a problem & when it cures stuff it could just as easily be from the new fluid!

I am having an issue with my 93 es300 transmission (120k miles). I have read hours of other posts within this site and others and it sounds like there is no need for a new transmission. (Although the dealer that test drove it said otherwise and put a price tag of $6000 for a new one, from them, all with only about 100k mi. on the tranny. That was the last time I visited that place. :censored: ) Anyway, almost 3 years later, I am still seeing the problem come up on occasions. I think there is some slippage occuring between drive and overdrive. This happens when going about 75-85 mph and punching the gas to get some acceleration. It shifts to a lower gear, then back, then lower, then back, like it is trying to stayin the lower gear, but won't. It is really annoying when traveling in the mountains. I plan on doing the tranny flush using methods of NOT removing the pan. (Unfortunately, I don't have the available space.) If I did proceed to remove the pan and clean the screen, is there a good chance this could be the culpret? Being I don't have a trusted mechanic yet (Denver area), I am weary of pursuing more professional servicing and diagnosis until I have exhausted all of my resources first. Anyone else have or had this problem? Any ideas?:cries:

Look up "Toyexus" in the phone book and ask for "Dave". They are on Broadway and 25. These are the best independants I know and have been servicing mine there for years. Dave has 15 years working on Toyota/Lexus. Tell him "Kenny" sent you...with the black 92 ES. :)

Thanks Kenny. I had my struts replaced there last summer. Seemed like a great outfit. It's nice to hear somebody else has said something good about them (haven't heard anything bad either though). Builds up the trust factor a bit more. I work only 5 minutes away from there, so it is very convenient. :cheers: