Strange Occurence

norbertk

About a month ago my CEL went on while driving down a road. After a few hours it went off, but then I started to notice something strange with my HVAC. Even if I had the temperature set at 72* it would still blow the same hot air all the way through 85*. If it goes below 72 it slowly becomes cold, then only at COLD it turns cold. Another thing I've noticed is if my car is sitting in idle it will jump up to about 900-1000 rpm. Felt like the air compressor going on during the summer. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm trying to find someone with an OBDI reader, but until I find out the severity I'm not gonna pay $150 for a diagnostic fee. Thought I would also mention the engine temperature is normal.

I have a 93 Es300.

I'm quite aware of the 9 million posts on how to do it, could it possibly be I don't want to take the risk and screw up my ECU?

OR you could buy the plug in reader (one-way plug in "glorified" jumper like Toys mentioned) that comes with a rather thick bilingual book of code listings & instructions ($39 @ Kragen). Cheaper than yer diag. fee & quite safe. PLUS you'll have it for any possible future use. ;)