Fuel Filter

redhawks2

Hello...when you change out the fuel filter don't you need to relieve the pressure and where do you do that? Or, does just backing off on the filter connections (slowly and carefully) relieve the pressure?

thanks for any info!

Nothing fancy or exotic in the shop manual, tells you to put a pan under the filter because you will lose some fuel, says to slowly loosen the connections and then plug the line with a rubber plug. You will probably minimize the fuel loss if you let the car set overnight after driving it to allow the fuel pressure to bleed down. Worse time to change filter would be right after running the engine obviously. Shop manual on the 93 LS400 shows filter located in front of left rear wheel.

Curt

u change it every 30k or around. as to location its located very incoveniently, you have to lift the car and dont forget to open the fuel tank to releive the pressure. it took about 20 mins to change it and i lost around half of the gallon of fuel doin this:)

• 3 weeks later...
Mine is VERY hard to get off. I am afraid I am doing something wrong. Do I simply twist it off?

You have to have t wrenches. One holds the fuel filter and the other backs the nut out of the filter. You do this twice of course. You also have to take the skid plate (very thin) off and take 2 nuts off of the bracket that is holding the filter. It took me a while because I stripped a nut. It was just one of the bracket hold downs.