Cd Changer 1998 Sc400 Nak

CD Changer Error message - 1998 SC400

Earlier this month, I installed a factory refurbished/exchanged 12 Disc CD Changer (Nakamichi stereo) purchased through my Lexus dealer ($375) plus a new magazine cartridge ($38). Unfortunately, the Changer is already becoming problematic as the error message now indicates on the display. I pressed the reset button twice but this action did not resolve the problem.

It appears that the rollers are not pulling in the CD (both factory CD's and burned CD'Rs played without hiccups until yesterday). It did proceed to play one disc for a few seconds today and then the error message returned and the sound was cut off. Also, the head unit does recognize and display each CD in the magazine.

Although this factory CD Changer can be exchanged again for a similar unit (1 year warranty), I would appreciate hearing input on other direct (factory or aftermarket) plug in options before I proceed (to exchange this unit at Lexus) next week. My goal is to operate a CD Changer that will be reliable for several years. I have read on the forum that the 6 Disc Changer from the older ES300 is a direct plug in unit. However, it appears that it does not install well aesthetically as it was not designed for the SC's small trunk (and is also an aged unit). Does anyone know if the 6 disc in dash unit out of the 1999-2000 SC model (or other models) can be plugged into the existing connectors in the trunk of the 1998 SC400? Also, has anyone successfully installed a Blitzsafe cable adaptor to control an aftermarket CD Changer through the factory head unit?

Finally, how reliable is the factory 12 Disc Changer over the long term (after it has been refurbished)? I've read numerous postings indicating various problems with the older 12 Disc Changers out of the SC coupe and I believe my updated model is also based on them. My goal is to retain the existing audio system (speakers, amp and head unit) and will consider any input on here.

Earlier this month, I installed a factory refurbished/exchanged 12 Disc CD Changer (Nakamichi stereo) purchased through my Lexus dealer ($375) plus a new magazine cartridge ($38). Unfortunately, the Changer is already becoming problematic as the error message now indicates on the display. I pressed the reset button twice but this action did not resolve the problem.

It appears that the rollers are not pulling in the CD (both factory CD's and burned CD'Rs played without hiccups until yesterday). It did proceed to play one disc for a few seconds today and then the error message returned and the sound was cut off. Also, the head unit does recognize and display each CD in the magazine.

Although this factory CD Changer can be exchanged again for a similar unit (1 year warranty), I would appreciate hearing input on other direct (factory or aftermarket) plug in options before I proceed (to exchange this unit at Lexus) next week. My goal is to operate a CD Changer that will be reliable for several years. I have read on the forum that the 6 Disc Changer from the older ES300 is a direct plug in unit. However, it appears that it does not install well aesthetically as it was not designed for the SC's small trunk (and is also an aged unit). Does anyone know if the 6 disc in dash unit out of the 1999-2000 SC model (or other models) can be plugged into the existing connectors in the trunk of the 1998 SC400? Also, has anyone successfully installed a Blitzsafe cable adaptor to control an aftermarket CD Changer through the factory head unit?

Finally, how reliable is the factory 12 Disc Changer over the long term (after it has been refurbished)? I've read numerous postings indicating various problems with the older 12 Disc Changers out of the SC coupe and I believe my updated model is also based on them. My goal is to retain the existing audio system (speakers, amp and head unit) and will consider any input on here.

If it is under warranty get another one and replace that one when it goes bad. The 12 disc changers are the worst changer that lexus ever used.

I also have a 98 SC400 and now have gone through three 12 disc changers. The replacements were purchased on EBay - they worked at first and then conked out shortly thereafter. The consensus seems to be that the 12 disc changers eventually will have problems including, without limitation, error messages, incessant skipping with long drop outs, and discs getting stuck. I am now going to try the '96 ES changer, which again, the consensus, seems to be that it's a decent replacement. The later generation ES changers have error correction, which helps with the skipping. Also, they do not have issues reading CD-Rs. I don't know that any of the 12 disc changers ever had error correction, though the later models seem to read CD-Rs better than the earlier ones. I realize that the ES changer won't look as neat in the trunk, but it's better than having a non or barely functioning 12 disc changer. I plan to have the ES changer professionally installed, so hopefully it will look halfway decent. As for the 1999-2000 in dash units, I've read that they will not work with the head units from the prior model years. I don't know about the Blitzsafe adapter. My understanding is that there are no adapters that allow for the use of a different changer with the existing head unit. However, I did see that Soundgate makes an adapter that plugs into the back of the head unit and provides jacks for use with an iPod or MP3 player. However, I do not have any details beyond that. If you find out any other information, please post it to the forum. Thanks.

I also have a 98 SC400 and now have gone through three 12 disc changers. The replacements were purchased on EBay - they worked at first and then conked out shortly thereafter. The consensus seems to be that the 12 disc changers eventually will have problems including, without limitation, error messages, incessant skipping with long drop outs, and discs getting stuck. I am now going to try the '96 ES changer, which again, the consensus, seems to be that it's a decent replacement. The later generation ES changers have error correction, which helps with the skipping. Also, they do not have issues reading CD-Rs. I don't know that any of the 12 disc changers ever had error correction, though the later models seem to read CD-Rs better than the earlier ones. I realize that the ES changer won't look as neat in the trunk, but it's better than having a non or barely functioning 12 disc changer. I plan to have the ES changer professionally installed, so hopefully it will look halfway decent. As for the 1999-2000 in dash units, I've read that they will not work with the head units from the prior model years. I don't know about the Blitzsafe adapter. My understanding is that there are no adapters that allow for the use of a different changer with the existing head unit. However, I did see that Soundgate makes an adapter that plugs into the back of the head unit and provides jacks for use with an iPod or MP3 player. However, I do not have any details beyond that. If you find out any other information, please post it to the forum. Thanks.

Get a 96 ES 300 changer and fabricate a bracket for it, The 6 disk is one of the best that lexus ever used. Again, The 12 disk changers are never worth fixing, They always fail, ALWAYS. THE 12 DISK IS NOT NAKAMICHI IT IS MFG'D BY FUJITSU = GARBAGE.