Us-made Michelins?

W201 sweden

For you Michelin users: Are your tires made in France, Germany, US or elsewhere?

Strangely enough, some european brands seems cheaper in US than via discount internet shops in Europe?

In a normal Swedish tire shop, the 225/60-16V-rated Michelins are well over $220 each. :cries:

Replies greatly appreciated!

/Alexander

It may be beacuse you guys have higher standards on tire manufacturing.

Is winter tires manadtory over there?

Also the US is dirt cheap for tires, i can buy a set of tires here and it costs $1600-2000 but from the US it is 1000-1200.

Hello SKperformance!

Perhaps I was not really clear - I wondered if the french Michelin company has done like many other companies, and opened factories in US.

This to avoid protective toll appplied by US on imports.

Nissan was very early with a full assembly factory in UK to get around EU tolls.

Perhaps it would still be cheaper for me to import french tires from US? B)

M+S tires are mandatory in Sweden since some years, and studded tires are allowed during the winter.

Anyhow, most people has always used winter tires, so the law did not make that much difference.

/Alexander

Yes, Michelin manufactures tires in the U.S. They have a sizeable manufacturing facility in South Carolina.

Also, after opening this plant, they purchased the B. F. Goodrich and Uniroyal tire brands and manufacturing facilities.

In my state of Alabama, Michelin operates a former B. F. Goodrich plant in Tuscaloosa and what was formerly a Uniroyal plant in Opelika.

I don't know what brands of tires they produce in any of their plants, but I assume that they produce the Michelin brand in the U.S. instead of importing them.

Yes, Michelin manufactures tires in the U.S. They have a sizeable manufacturing facility in South Carolina.

Also, after opening this plant, they purchased the B. F. Goodrich and Uniroyal tire brands and manufacturing facilities.

In my state of Alabama, Michelin operates a former B. F. Goodrich plant in Tuscaloosa and what was formerly a Uniroyal plant in Opelika.

I don't know what brands of tires they produce in any of their plants, but I assume that they produce the Michelin brand in the U.S. instead of importing them.

Correct, Michelin has many manufacturing facilities throughout the world, not just in France or Europe alone. B)

:cheers:

The longest-lasting set of Michelins I ever had were a set of XZX's made in Spain in either 1977 or 1978 and mounted on my 1974 Datsun 260Z. They lasted about four years and went beyond 80,000 miles.