Instrument Cluster Backlight Gone.

W201 sweden

Just got my window washer pump replaced the other week, and another electrical gremlin shows up. :(

This morning, while entering the parking lot at my work, the instrument cluster backlight

suddenly lit up. Since I had the headlights on, the light was down to it's low power mode, but it

jumped to high intensity. I tried switching the headlights on and off (OK), but the instrument light still remained.

When I shut off the engine, all instrument light switched off, where it should have stayed on (because the headlights were still on.)

Basically the cluster backlight only responds to the ignition switch, and not to the light switch.

BTW, the reostat (?) (for adjusting the intensity) works fine.

Any ideas?

/Alexander

What year is your car? The 1st gen had some issues w/ backlighting. Did any of the climate control lights flicker in the center of the dash area?

When I was experiencing problems w/ the backlighting on my '93 it showed up sometimes in the climate control lights as well as the cluster backlighting. There was no pattern of what would be affected or when. it seemed sporadic and random.

As long as the car is running the cluster lighting will stay on regardless of the headlights being on or not. Cluster lights don't necessarily stay on if the headlights are on. You can remove the key w/ the HL on and the cluster does not light up.

Yeah, your cluster back lighting will be on all the time. The only time they will go completely dark is if it's dark outside and you have your headlights on and the rheostat turned down.

If you want the gauges dark during the day, turn your headlights on and cover the light sensor on the dash, and everything will go dark.

It sounds like everything is working properly. ;)

Alex...it's normal...and it too freaked me out on mine at first..What is happening is that your two light sensors "dime sized, black, sensors" in the corners of your dash are telling the computer that the outside light is too brite for the dash lights to act in "night mode", and it brings it back up to normal, daytime driving conditions. It will do this a lot in the early mornings and at dusk in the evenings. Think of it like this...when you go into a tunnel, the dash lights will dim automatically, when you come out, they'll come back up so you can see them more clearly. This only happens when you have your headlights on though. Once you turn them off, the sensors turn off too. It's normal...trust me....

Here's another thing that'll suprise you too....turn on your wipers to intermitted. Set the time delay between wipes to short. They will work like normal, intermitted wipers...but when you go over 20 mph, they will automatically go into the low, always on setting for you. Then when you come to a stop, or fall below 20mph, they will automatically go back to the shortest intermitted pattern again.....it's GREAT when it's raining not quite hard enough to need them on all the time at the stop lights, but you need them on all the time when you hit a certain speed.

Having fun yet? :cheers:

Thanks guys! You are the best! :lol:

I had the strangest experience this evening. :blink:

After the exact same driving distance, but in the opposite direction (FROM work instead of TO work),the same thing happend again.

As I enter my driveway, BAM, lights in high intensity!

The streets and road were pretty dark the whole trip, but I guess my rather powerful driveway light triggered the sensors! And this morning, the bleak (?) morning

sun was enough to do the same!

I'll have to test the sensors tomorrow! >can't wait<

I know of this kind of features, but I would never expect to find it in my 10+ year old car. :blushing:

And nc211, the wiper trick I found out myself. Have seen it in "bimmers" in the early 90:s.

Thanks for the info, though! :)

And regarding the fun bit:

Well, let's say... Hmmm I DO feel unusually relaxed driving this car. Just putting a good CD in the changer, humming along and cruise - nice. B) I will get back with an update later!

/Alexander

PS! branshew:

Sorry anout not writing what year my car is. (-95) You can read it in the info box below my nickname on the left.