Engine Sludge Fixed By Dealer!

Glad I found this board. It was so helpful in understanding my problem and remedying it. The local Lexus dealer is fixing it under warranty, after receiving maintenance records, and gave me a new ES 330 as a loaner. They're also charging only about $250 to replace timing belt and $175 for a transmission flush, both of which seem very reasonable to me.

Again, thank you all for your input. Without that, I would still be putting $35 into my comparatively ancient ES every three days.

Nice! Services are overpriced, but I know a ton of people would kill for Lexus maintenece, and jsut to have Toyota/Lexus actually accept real sludge damage LoL!

I think you came out in the + bigtime. Especially in retrospect with others!

I simply told them the truth. And of course backed it up with tons of Firestone receipts of oil changes and quite a few other things. Oil changes being the key documents of course.

Frankly, I don't know why it sludged. It's been maintained very well. In fact, a couple of times at least, by mistake it has had back-to-back oil changes in consecutive months, literally. That's a consequence of multiple drivers within a family, not always aware of recent maintenance.

And the ES 330 is SWEET. It's going to be hard to get back in the ancient ES, as I now think of it.

The service of the t belt and tranny sound reasonable since they are repairing your engine. In all seriousness they remove the belt anyway so changing it is only a matter of a new one compared to an old one which is about $50-80.

A tranny flush is $100.

I would quiery them on the pricing especially since they did not tell you about it being fixed for free.

BTW did you not have a thread on this before?

If so post in the same one , not make new ones to update as the time line and results get lost in what happens.

how are they fixing it? I thought they usually just replace the long block on something like that?

They used to but got tired of shelling out $6k per repair for a new block. Now they actually try to clean the sludge out of the existing heads and put it back together - that's why you can get a timimg belt repalcement as part of the deal.