Considering 1995 Ls400

Sweet95LS400

Greetings everyone!

I am considering the purchase of a pre-owned 1995 LS400. I found it at a local dealer in town, it has 97k on it right now. The outside of the car is very clean, as is the interior for the most part. After reading the post on what to look for in a used LS, I had the opportunity to test drive the car this afternoon. The car started right up and idled very smoothly and quietly. Choosing reverse was smooth and shifted in an instant, same with selecting drive on the shifter. Running over bumps didn’t elicit any unusual noises or rattles. All of the power accessories work with the exception of the rear power antenna, the antenna stays up all of the time.

I have two concerns with the car, however. The first is when accelerating quickly, you can feel a vibration in the drive train. Its only slightly noticeable, but goes away if you quickly remove your foot from the gas pedal. This only happens at lower speeds, the car is smooth as glass on the highway and when cruising.

The other concern I have is in regards to the transmission shifting. The shift from first to second gear is very smooth, however, the shift from second to third is firm, then the shift from third to forth is again, very smooth. The car downshifts without any hesitation and provides good power in any gear. No slippage at all.

I am hesitant about purchasing the car if there is a transmission or driveline issue. The closest Lexus dealer is about 1.5 hours away. If I did purchase the car, I would take it to my current mechanic who specializes in Toyota repair. He currently services my 1990 Camry and while his rates are not cheap, he is very good. After reading through the various posts and doing a search, it looks like a transmission fluid flush, new filter, and possible cleaning of the solenoids and valve body might do the trick to fix the issues. Any advice for a potential LS owner? I really have fallen in love with the car, but am nervous about the tremendous financial expense it could be if something was seriously wrong. I have done an extensive search and this is one of the few cars I have found for this price. Even on eBay 95s are going for about this amount and then I would have to find a way to get it here. I currently hold a sales position with my company so having a reliable car is important to me. I keep reading so many good things about these LS's that its really the only used car I am considering.

The dealer was asking $9995 for the car, but I have gotten them down to $7800 for it. This is not a Lexus dealer but a small private dealership.

I'm certainly no expert on LS's, but my wife and I own one and we buy as many of them as possible for our dealership. The vibration you're talking about sure seems related to the rear motor mount (tranny mount). Under acceleration, it's under a lot of stress and if the rubber on the mount has broken down, then you can certainly feel a vibration. I'd check that for an inexpensive place to start.

Mike

Blake918 and I both have 95's and we have both done extensive repair work on our cars. I think Blake is at 250k miles, and I'm at 110k. I replaced all of my control arms in my suspension because of a wierd clunking noise "at the time, did not know what it was....now I know...it was the lower control arms on the front". I got a great deal on all the parts, so I just shot the whole thing at once...it wasn't really necessary though. So don't take my repairs as "normal" on a 95. Blake has 2x my mileage, and he's on original parts! At the mileage this one has that you're looking at, the one thing that stands out to me that you need to check is the timing belt and water pump replacement. This is done every 90k miles, and is why you will find most used LS's are being sold in the 90-110k mile range. The 90k service from the dealer is like $1,700 +/-. So most owners just sell the car and go buy a new LS instead. However, you can call the Lexus dealer, give them the Vin # and ask them to run a history on the car....they'll beable to see if it's had the 90k service done from that...If it hasn't been done, talk to your local Toyota guy and see what he would charge for just the water pump and timing belt change...probably around $700 would be my guess. Assuming the car has not been abused or wrecked...here is what you'll want to do to bring her back to that new feeling....

1) Fluids...change them all with OEM Toyota fluids "should smooth out the transmission shift"

2) Motor mounts...2 for the engine..1 for the tranny "should fix the vibration"

3) Serpintine belt

4) Possibly the rear differential mounting bushings, they're 2 of them, but the driver's side one tears

5) Just my opinion on this one...run Mobile 1 5w30 synthetic in the car....again...just my opinion!

You should be good with this for quite a while. You will have the clunk at somepoint in the near future, usually a control arm...$100-$200.

I would learn how to clean the throttle body too...not hard...and makes her smooth out quite nicely. Learn this site..www.lexls.com for help.

If you buy the car, and don't want to spend any money on repairing it...then I would not buy it. They're awesome cars, and will last forever if taken care of.

If you look at my signature below, and have read some of my threads, you'll see that I am a repair freak on my car. I purchased mine from the lexus dealer for $14,200 back in April 2003. It had 84k miles on it, original owner. I negotiated the 90k service "water pump and timing belt" into the price. The car also had a bad engine computer and made Lexus replace that too. Everything else has been on my dime. Grand total...I've got about $18,000 in the car. Now I know I'm way flip over in terms of financial...but in terms of most bang for the buck...well...you tell me what I could buy in the market place for that amount of money that would even come close to the Lexus LS400?? If you buy the car, and want to just drive it for a couple of years w/o fixing a few things, you'll probably be dissapointed in the car. If you buy it, get into it, you'll find that you have a world class automobile that will easily last another 10 years and 100k miles...and STILL be nicer than most new cars out there today.

Oh...and not to mention that ridiculously low vehicle tax bill...and lower insurance rates too!!!

Sweet, it sounds like you've done your homework! I would bet that a good transmission servicing would smooth out the shifting. However, I'd be scared to take on a car that has drivetrain irregularities since you are searching for a needle in a haystack. Pretty much all of my bushings are gone (suspension (most of the front and some back parts), flex couplings, diffy cushions, etc.), but I can sit on the gas all day long with no drivetrain vibrations. Maybe your mechanic could inspect the car for you before you do the paperwork? He can get the car up on a lift and tell you what's good and what's not compared to our speculations. The price seems a little low for a low mile 95?

The antenna can be fixed with $45 and 1 hour of your time. ;)

LSs are great cars, but that doesn't mean that they are going to have problems. I suppose "issues" would be a better word choice since the problems that they face will annoy the hell out of you rather than leave you stranded on a dark interstate. My '95 has 270,500 miles and is just as reliable as can be although it is time for all of the rubber bushing and power steering work.

Keep us posted and good luck!

:cheers:

I would recommend investing the $20 and signing up for carfax at this point....TRUST ME....you want to do this!!! ;) You will NOT be wasting your money.

www.carfax.com

I am glad I got the report, I think I am going to avoid this car. The search continues...

CARFAX Talking CarTM

The story of this 1995 LEXUS LS 400 (JT8UF22E2S0020448) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:

This sedan has had 4 owners and was owned in California and Pennsylvania. It was originally registered as a lease vehicle. The leasing company actually owned this vehicle and collected payments from the individual leasing it until the vehicle was sold or the lease expired.

It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.

It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.

It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.

CARFAX found an inconsistent odometer reading. CARFAX is uncertain whether this reading represents a rollback or a source-level clerical error.

It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback or LEMON.

Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

Report Summary

1. ACCIDENT CHECK

Total Loss Check No Severe Accidents Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!

Other Accident Indicators No Accident Indicators Reported

2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK

Truth-In-Mileage Check No Odometer Problems Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!

Odometer Rollback Check No Potential Odometer Rollback Found

Mileage Consistency Check Inconsistent Odometer Reading Found

3. LEMON CHECK®

No Mfr. Buyback Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!

4. OWNERSHIP CHECK

Number of Owners 4 Estimated Owner(s)

Type of Owners Originally Registered as a Lease Vehicle

5. RECALL CHECK

LEXUS Does Not Report Recalls to CARFAX

6. WARRANTY CHECK

No Data Reported to CARFAX

CARFAX searched more than 4 billion records from over 7,600 sources and found 14 record(s) for this 1995 LEXUS LS 400 (JT8UF22E2S0020448).

Date:

Mileage Reading:

Source:

General Comments:

03/28/1995 NICB

Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original

dealer

06/15/1995 California

Motor Vehicle Dept.

First owner reported

Registered as

lease vehicle

05/28/1998 39,452 Auto Auction

Pacific SW Region

Vehicle sold

06/01/1998 39,458 California

Inspection Station

El Cajon, CA

Passed emissions inspection

06/05/1998 39,471 California

Motor Vehicle Dept.

San Diego, CA

Odometer reading reported for title

or registration

07/22/1998 California

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Title issued or updated

New owner reported

Loan or lien reported

05/13/1999 California

Motor Vehicle Dept.

San Diego, CA

Title issued or updated

04/05/2000 54,442 California

Inspection Station

El Cajon, CA

04/11/2002 49,802 California

Inspection Station

El Cajon, CA

INCONSISTENT ODOMETER READING

CARFAX AdvisorTM

CARFAX analyzed this mileage history and is uncertain whether this reading represents a rollback or a clerical error. Please verify the mileage with your dealer or a qualified mechanic.

04/19/2002 California

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Alpine, CA

Title issued or updated

New owner reported

Loan or lien reported

04/24/2002 70,081 Dealer Inventory

El Cajon, CA

Vehicle offered for sale

04/21/2004 82,006 California

Inspection Station

01/07/2005 87,698 Service Facility

Vehicle serviced

Engine serviced

01/12/2005 Pennsylvania

Motor Vehicle Dept.

Erie, PA

Title issued or updated

New owner reported

;) good idea...

Now it could have been that the dash lights went out and someone in that chain of ownership had the panel replaced on the cheap, which would have erased the electronic odometer. But, 4 owners is a lot of different driving styles...and in my personal opinion, throws up a huge red flag on the car's mechanical condition. Why would you get rid of a good Lexus LS400?...not to mention...4 times. Good call amigo...I'd take a pass on this one too.

Best $20 you've spent this week huh? ;)

Is there anything on there in the mileage area of a service / engine service around the 90k mile range? If so...that might be the 90k service I spoke of earlier, of which you could send the vin to the lexus dealer and they would probably beable to tell you "yes or no" on the timing belt.

I agree. I wish I could find an LS in good shape and affordable. I dont mind putting money into the car, if I can buy the car at a good price. But I keep looking at used ones and dealers want over book value and all the cars need the 90k service as well as other incidentals.

That's when you tell the dealer that you'll pay the asking price as long as they include the 90k FULL service "specify the timing belt and water pump" into the price. Also, make sure they're aware of the Technical Service Bulletin "TSB" numbered EG003-96. I've attached it here. If you can get a Lexus dealership to agree to the 90k full service, and to perform this TSB for the window price they're asking for.....then you have a good deal on your hands! Some...not all...but some of these cars have a bad engine computer that became so severe that lexus made this TSB the ONLY ONE they HIGHLY recommend be done. The other was an actual recall for the starter, which kept burning out. You do this....and you're in great shape! Remember, I paid window for mine, but made them include the full 90k service "$1,700" and then forced them to eat the TSB under their 90 day / 3000 mile window warranty "$2,500", which took some harsh words. I think I got a good deal, since both of these items would have had to come out of my pocket at some point "$4,200" total. They'll be more than happy to throw in labor if you're willing to pay their window price. Actually, I think mine was listed at $14,400 and I wiggled down to $14,000, then met in the middle at $14,200 with the 90k thrown in.

41.pdf

I agree. I wish I could find an LS in good shape and affordable. I dont mind putting money into the car, if I can buy the car at a good price. But I keep looking at used ones and dealers want over book value and all the cars need the 90k service as well as other incidentals.

Sweet95,

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here, but my wife and I have been in the car business for almost 19 years now and I'd be happy to try and find you an Arizona Lexus out here in Tucson or Phoenix. If this is abusing my privileges in this forum, please disregard this response. I have great respect for this forum and it has saved us literally hundreds if not thousands of dollars with it's informative posts.

Mike

That would be great. If you could keep an eye out for a used LS that would be perfect. I would need to find a way to get it from AZ to PA, but I think there are trucking companies that can do that. Let me know what you find. Unfortunately, I am on a budget. I cant really spend more than about 8k. I understand that I will probably have tp put some money into the car when I get it. Thanks again!

Well I found another LS400. It is actually the same color combo as the one I found locally. This one is in California. It is Cashmiere Gold Metallic with tan interior. Chrome wheels, sunroof, and Nakamichi stereo for options. No TRAC or heated seats though. Has about 80k on it, clean car fax and all service records. Just had a brand new set of tires put on it and the 75k service done to it. Its from a Lexus dealer. I think I might take this one, any recommendations on car shipping companies?

Well I found another LS400. It is actually the same color combo as the one I found locally. This one is in California. It is Cashmiere Gold Metallic with tan interior. Chrome wheels, sunroof, and Nakamichi stereo for options. No TRAC or heated seats though. Has about 80k on it, clean car fax and all service records. Just had a brand new set of tires put on it and the 75k service done to it. Its from a Lexus dealer. I think I might take this one, any recommendations on car shipping companies?

Good luck on your search! As a previous 94 LS owner, here's my thoughts if I were to be in the market for another...

1) Would only be interested in a 1 owner with proven service history

2) Would only be interested in a 98-99 year model

3) All major service completed at a Lexus dealership

4) Complete inspection by a Lexus dealer

And lastly, be prepared to dump money in to it if you are looking at the 95'

Good luck on your search! As a previous 94 LS owner, here's my thoughts if I were to be in the market for another...

1) Would only be interested in a 1 owner with proven service history

2) Would only be interested in a 98-99 year model

3) All major service completed at a Lexus dealership

4) Complete inspection by a Lexus dealer

And lastly, be prepared to dump money in to it if you are looking at the 95'

Thanks for the tips. I looked at the 98-99s and they are consistantly 6-7k more. This car is a 1 owner with a very clean service history, no major problems and all services have been performed at Lexus dealers. I understand that I will probably have to put some money into it, the dealer says everything is perfect on the car right now, needs nothing.

That being said, I am pretty confident that this is a good move. The way I look at it, this car has already depriciated enough that even if I drive it for 2 years and then trade up to a 99 or so, I wont lose much money other than what I have to put into the car in terms of intial purchase and service/repairs. I only drive about 8-10k miles per year, so even in 2 years the car will still have less than 100k on it. The tires are brand new so I wont even need to worry about that for a while either.

sweet...since the seller is a Lexus Dealership...ask them if they will put a 90 day / 3,000 warranty on the car, and ask them since you're so far away from them, that if your local Lexus dealership will honor their warranty...since they're all pretty much tied into one company in general....Lexus, Inc. That way, if there is a major problem, like that TSB I posted earlier, you have a away to rectify the problem locally. Other than that...man she sounds like a great car! Got a weblink to the car so we can see it?

I found an even better deal on ebay. I am in contact with the dealership now. These cars are hard to find with all the service records and in good condition. You can buy one cheap from a private owner or corner lot but who knows that kind of work needs done to it. Just like the first one I looked at with the rolled back odometer.