Thump Sound Update!

I took it to the dealer and they said it's the rubber bushings in the differental.

The bushings shrink over time and that is causing the thump sound.

They said this is considered normal wear and tear and they won't cover it under warranty.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, and they said it's a very BIG repair job to change out the bushings with no guarantee the thump will go away.

It wasn't the spare tire, u-joints, or tranny mount.

What do you guys think?

It's very annoying, and i guess i have to live with the play in the differental.

They said i can go back to the dealer to have the mechanic test drive with me to make sure we're hearing the same sound after you hit the gas from coasting, but what's the use if they won't honor my warranty?

2001 GS300 with pre-owned certified warranty.

Edited by Scott P.

I took it to the dealer and they said it's the rubber bushings in the differental.

They said this is considered normal wear and tear and they won't cover it under warranty.

I'm not sure what to do at this point, and they said it's a very BIG repair job to change out the bushings with no guarantee the thump will go away.

What do you guys think?

It's very annoying, and i guess i have to live with the play in the differental.

They said i can go back to the dealer to have the mechanic test drive with me to make sure we're hearing the same sound after you hit the gas from coasting, but what's the use if they won't honor my warranty?

hey sorry to hear that.... but from what i know, the lexus/toyota vehicles uses something called a "floating type differential" on their rear wheel drive vehicles, which means the differential is mounted to the rear subframe via RUBBER bushings, i hate to say it but they all thump under the right conditions, very much like the driveshaft clunk you find on the GX and the LX. changing the bushings will probably mean the rear subframe gets changed and after that it will most definally return within a short period of time. i would still have the dealer double check your driveshaft play and make sure its within spec. and go from there....good luck

What do you guys think?

hey sorry to hear that.... but from what i know, the lexus/toyota vehicles uses something called a "floating type differential" on their rear wheel drive vehicles, which means the differential is mounted to the rear subframe via RUBBER bushings, i hate to say it but they all thump under the right conditions, very much like the driveshaft clunk you find on the GX and the LX. changing the bushings will probably mean the rear subframe gets changed and after that it will most definally return within a short period of time. i would still have the dealer double check your driveshaft play and make sure its within spec. and go from there....good luck

I used to have an lx470 and under certain conditions it would do the same thing. It is normal on these models.