Considering Buying A 97 Sc300

Gommenos

Hey everyone,

Im new to this forum. My name is Pete and im 19 and i have been into cars for a long time. For the past couple of months i have been thinking about getting a 97 SC300 and doing a bit of work to it, a friend of mine has a 94 GS300 with some modern modifications and his car really got me looking at the lexus'. this wont be my first sports car, just so that you all dont think im just some kid thats gonna kill himself. My first car was a 95 bmw m3 and i really didnt do much to it other than h&r race springs and koni adjustable shocks and some other suspension work. i had that car for about 2 years and then i sold it for a 1999 Mercedes CLK430 that i just put a set of wheels on, and then my mom wanted the car so i let her take over the payments and give me her 97 4runner so thats what im driving now, i jus put mud tires on it last week and i am realizing that suv's are just NOT for me! so a buddy of mine mentioned getting a s13 240sx and he kinda pointed me towards the sc300. and all a really want is about 350 hp and a good suspension setup out of it. we are planning on putting together a custom turbo kit, tien coilovers, staggered 19's, and other various suspension work.

the reason i am considering the SC is because i understand that it has the 2jz-ge which is the non turbo motor that comes in the non turbo Supras, and ive been told that the rest of the car is pretty much built on the same platform as a Supra so a lot of parts are interchangeable. and they have a lot of potential. and i like the look of the newer bumpers and tail lights on the 97 so i wouldnt have to do any exterior work.

i am looking to build a car that is really just fun to drive and can peorform well in every field (Braking, Cornering, Drifting, etc.)

but my main questions are:

-what parts are interchageable with supra parts? (motor, suspension, braking, shifter, etc.)

-how much boost can the stock internals hold?

-how much boos will be nessesary to get my desired hp?

-if i need more boost what all will i have to change? (rods, head gasket, lower compression pistons, cams, etc.)

-asside from coilovers, swaybars, and upper strut bars will i need any other suspension components?

-i want staggered 19's but what width and tire size is the best to go with without rubbing?

-what "trouble parts" do these cars have? (common problems, certain parts that wear out after so many miles)

-what are some good companies to get some of this stuff from?

-anything else i should know?

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to look at this and any help i can get!

-Pete

• 4 months later...

but my main questions are:

-what parts are interchageable with supra parts? (motor, suspension, braking, shifter, etc.)

-how much boost can the stock internals hold?

-how much boos will be nessesary to get my desired hp?

-if i need more boost what all will i have to change? (rods, head gasket, lower compression pistons, cams, etc.)

-asside from coilovers, swaybars, and upper strut bars will i need any other suspension components?

-i want staggered 19's but what width and tire size is the best to go with without rubbing?

-what "trouble parts" do these cars have? (common problems, certain parts that wear out after so many miles)

-what are some good companies to get some of this stuff from?

-anything else i should know?

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to look at this and any help i can get!

-Pete

You can achive 350bhp and even 350rwhp on a stock 2JZ-GE engine :). This means all you would need is a turbo kit and a FMU or slightly larger injectors, appropriate fuel controller, good exhaust & intake, and bam you have a 350hp car :). So, you don't need to upgrade your headgasket, which is good, because doing the headgasket properly takes many hours of labor. The amount of boost you can run varies with turbo size and what kind of fuel control you are using. If you use a standalone EMS and have complete control of your timing curve, some folks have run ~12-13psi with a small turbo on stock headgasket. Most people with piggy back fuel controllers don't boost more than 8psi to be safe on stock headgasket. Since you have a 1997 non-vvti 2jz-ge, you don't have to change any of the engine internals since they've been proven to hold 600-700rwhp reliably and daily.

Regarding suspension..prepare yourself for the worst = replacing all of your control arms + bushings, sway bars, and stock shocks/springs. This leave a nice dent in your wallet, especially after the turbo kit. Turboing sc300's is not cheap, but has been hyped as a car that is able to be turbo'd properly for cheap. It's not.