'97 Es300 Rear Taillight Replacement (7443?)

total1

I need to replace my trunk tail light (bulb #7443-two filament). It's the TOP light on the trunk lid for the '97 and '98 ES300's. I can't figure out how to even get to the light from under the trunk lid. I can see the #7440 (single filament) and the small light bulb next to it but where is the other light bulb? There's 3 light bulbs, if I'm correct and I can't find the #7443 (two filament rather than one). Where it is and maybe how to replace it would be helpful. The other bulbs just twist counterclockwise and pull out the housing and then pull the bulb out.

TIA,

Tom

I think you are mixing up the bulb types with the location on the trunk. The 7443 bulb is the same as the brake bulb, and is located ONLY on the corner tailights, not the trunk lid lights. In order to access the bulbs behind the corner tailights, you'd have to remove the plastic shielding behind those tailights. This is held down by (2) black plastic caps which can by pried off with a flathead (don't worry, they are strong and won't break). Once the shielding is off, then you have an easy view of the bulbs behind the corner lights.

You might be right. Here's the situation that I have though. My dash yellow light out indicator is on and the passenger side light on the trunk is not lighting. [flashers work, turn signal works] So, I took out the 7440, single filament bulb, and replaced it with a new one and I still did not have a light. I've also replaced the bulbs from my 98 to my 97 and I still have the light out indicator. I took out the 7440 bulb and I still had the light out situation. I think that the bulb I'm taking out is not the bulb I need to take out in all reality. The bulb I need to take out is just to the upper right of the rear license plate on the trunk. Maybe I need glasses? :0 Visually, once 'in' the trunk the bulb I need to take out 'seems' more to the center of the trunk.

Thanks, again!

You might be right. Here's the situation that I have though. My dash yellow light out indicator is on and the passenger side light on the trunk is not lighting. [flashers work, turn signal works] So, I took out the 7440, single filament bulb, and replaced it with a new one and I still did not have a light. I've also replaced the bulbs from my 98 to my 97 and I still have the light out indicator. I took out the 7440 bulb and I still had the light out situation. I think that the bulb I'm taking out is not the bulb I need to take out in all reality. The bulb I need to take out is just to the upper right of the rear license plate on the trunk. Maybe I need glasses? :0 Visually, once 'in' the trunk the bulb I need to take out 'seems' more to the center of the trunk.

Thanks, again!

does it come on as soon as u tocu the brake the first time or as soon as u turn on the lights?