Stereo Problem; Amp?

caglo

So I was driving along and there was a very faint pop...no more sound. I assumed the amp had gone out (for the second time, dealer installed), but three days later I turned the stereo back on after a day's rest and it worked like nothing had happened. Then just today it went out again. Stereo powers up fine, just no sound. Searching the forums, I only found dead amps with absolutely no sound, but this deal with it cutting in and out has me confused.

So I was driving along and there was a very faint pop...no more sound. I assumed the amp had gone out (for the second time, dealer installed), but three days later I turned the stereo back on after a day's rest and it worked like nothing had happened. Then just today it went out again. Stereo powers up fine, just no sound. Searching the forums, I only found dead amps with absolutely no sound, but this deal with it cutting in and out has me confused.

It is the amp, Poor location. Make sure the drain tube isn't blocked or misdirected, Check the trunk seal, Water gets in the amp location and fries them. You have to waterproof the amp.

If you need a new amp i am doing a stereo install and am willing to sell my stock pioneer 4 channel and sub amp and subwoofer. but dcfish is correct about bad amp placement. You wouldnt throw your harmon kardon in the gutter and expect it to work but apparently lexus chose to do that in way. lol.

• 1 month later...

It is the amp, Poor location. Make sure the drain tube isn't blocked or misdirected, Check the trunk seal, Water gets in the amp location and fries them. You have to waterproof the amp.

I,too, have had the same problem. I have a '92 SC 400. Up until this year, never had a problem with water intrusion. A year ago the quarter panel on that side was replaced. I returned to body shop, who'll gratefully take responsibility for a potential leak and replace the amp, too. Body shop did some checking and heard from their source at a car stereo shop of a recent spate of leaks and fried amps. Curious what is involved with water proofing an amp?

I have had my SC400 for a year now and early on I had a water problem that affected the Amp. Mine was shorted out and I had to replace it. When I had it out, I saw that a drain hose from the top of the car is routed down by the amp. If it is out of it's hole, it will spray water in that compartrment, shorting out the amp. I put mine back in place and glued it down with some silicon 'stuff'. Also, I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom of that compartment at the lowest point just to let out any water that might get back in there.

But, another potential problem is if you are getting water in the cabin. Just behind the drivers seat, under the rear seat are a couple of electrical plugs. One of them is for a telephone that you may or may not have. If that plug gets wet, it mutes you whole system and acts like the amp is out.

Go here to see pictures: http://carstereohelp.com/repairDoItYoursel...usRepairVol.htm

My interior leak problem stemmed from a drivers side door hinge that was worn out and did not let the door seat properly. Whenever it rained, water got into the cabin and shorted out that plug.

I hope that this helps

• 1 year later...