Resistance When Shifting The Lever From P To R

twinelmskao

My car is a 2004 RX330. After starting the engine(particularly early in the morning) I usually have difficulty shifting the selector lever from P to R. I have to wait until the engine idle for a couple of minutes. Can anybody tell my why is that? Opinion/advice highly appreciated.

do you mean that it wont let you shift down...like going half way from P to R is blocked liked your not stepping on the pedal? or are u saying it just takes more energy to pull the shifter... This happened on my Rx300, now given back to Lexus...If the problem is the first one i mentioned, then u can remove the safety thing with a coin and its a release. I would get it checked out, this is the first ive heard of this

thank you for your reply and

yes, it wont let me shift down. The lever seems to be blocked until a couple of minutes later. I pulled the lever with force only one time. It's something you dont want to do it again. I bought this car with 60K miles on it, so there is no warranty. Would you let me know how to "remove the safety thing with a coin" thanks

alrighty, now that the problem is isolated...oh and just to make sure, are you driving an rx330? well either way, theres a small box next to the shifter, with a hole in it. use a dime or something, or w/e coin that fits, and use it to lift the cover. Inside you will find a button, that when pressed, will release the shift (press button while shifting) THis happened on my old rx, which fixed itself evidently. Oh and dont loose the cover piece, happened to me!

Edited by Rx330driver