Is This Normal?

Hell all,

I noticed a while back that if I pump the break pedal really hard, the steering becomes tight and I get what feels like better turn-in. Is this normal or am I just imagining things?

If it is infact expected, any one can explain it? and possibly give a way to always get that feel all the time.

Hell all,

I noticed a while back that if I pump the break pedal really hard, the steering becomes tight and I get what feels like better turn-in. Is this normal or am I just imagining things?

If it is infact expected, any one can explain it? and possibly give a way to always get that feel all the time.

have you ever driven a FWD car before?

Im not making fun, im serious, because the extra weight over the drive wheels (engine/tranny) will produce this feeling if you arent used to a FWD car.

its totally normal. the car gets harder to turn the faster you try to whip around the corners. the only way to get that feeling all the time will be to approach corners ant rediculous speeds on a regular bases and then mash the brakes as you get close and then throughout the turn...the problem with a FWD is you cant mash the brakes through a turn, or the car will understeer. you have to do almost all of your braking before the turn, then acclerate out of it, at least in a racing situation. most drivers dont feel these effects in everyday driving. if they do they are WAYYYY exceeding the speed limit. i suspect your ES wont produce this feeling until about 45-50. and if you regularly corner that car at that speed, be ready for a few purchases:

Ball joints

Rack and pinion (eventually)

Struts

tie rods.

Edited by ArmyofOne

It's front wheel drive physics. To get a better turn-in & rotation, a quick jab of the brakes the instant you initiate the wheel movement helps break it and rorate it.

If you buy a rear sway bar, instead of giving the brakes a jab, you flick the wheel quickly and give a good bit of gas. Ooooor if you're really setup right, just flick the wheel quickly.

I should've explained better. It goes like this:

1. I am parked at a traffic light

2. Pump the breaks

3. Drive off (After the green light, I dont break the law .. :) )

4. The car feels tight.

Im not making fun, im serious, because the extra weight over the drive wheels (engine/tranny) will produce this feeling if you arent used to a FWD car.

its totally normal. the car gets harder to turn the faster you try to whip around the corners.

I should've explained better. It goes like this:

1. I am parked at a traffic light

2. Pump the breaks

3. Drive off (After the green light, I dont break the law .. :) )

4. The car feels tight.

its totally normal. the car gets harder to turn the faster you try to whip around the corners.

hmmm...possible power steering pump brandon? cause the pump has to build pressure back up from idling?

I still don't understand if there is a problem, or what the problem is.

The powersteering system is modulated via vacuum via the IAC, and IM vacuum sorces. It shouldn't need to build pressure at all.

I don't get what he's talking about.

If it's tighter steering... do u have enuff P/S fluid in there? How is it during most of the ride? Does it get smoother?

Tom

Actually it gets worse as I drive it more. There is a considerable amount of steering wheel-to-road wheel alignment play. I would be pointing in one direction and after some breaking or modulation in the road, the wheels seem to go somewhere else.

Pumping the break when idling seems to take care of the problem momentarily.

If it's tighter steering... do u have enuff P/S fluid in there? How is it during most of the ride? Does it get smoother?

Tom

My first guess would be that you have a loose brake rotor or rotors. Applying the brakes would, for a short period thereafter, constrain the rotor "wobble", looseness, via the "squeeze" provided by the brake pads.

Actually it gets worse as I drive it more. There is a considerable amount of steering wheel-to-road wheel alignment play. I would be pointing in one direction and after some breaking or modulation in the road, the wheels seem to go somewhere else.

Pumping the break when idling seems to take care of the problem momentarily.

Tom

What you have described sounds like a rack and pinion, possibly tie rod ends. My ES250 had a bad rack and pinion, when i turned the wheel to the meft, the wheel was off center to the left, if i turned right, it came back off ceneter to the right.