Ignition Cylinder Stuck

pearlywhite90ls

I have a 1990 ls 400, since i got the car, the ignition cylinder has been a little tricky as the key doesnt slide in smoothly, yesterday i tried to start the car but the key wouldnt turn, eventually i got the key to turn to "on" but not to "start". I do live in michigan and it has been colder this past day, please any advice would be greatly appreciated. also i have been driving without power steering for a few months i dont know if that could have created this problem

It could be related to the steering. Shortly after purchasing my 91 LS400, I had a problem where I could not turn the ignition key. This happened after my 8 year old spent some time sitting in the driver's seat pretending he was driving. It seems he was trying his best to turn the steering wheel (while the car was off, of course). I eventually got the key to turn by turning the wheel (took some effort) and turning the key. Hope this helps.

• 7 months later...

My wife called me one day from a parking lot. She told me that the car would not start. Apparently as she pulled into a parking spot she had the wheel way turned. After taliking to her and asking questions I deterimined that the wheels were not square and advised that she really pull back on the wheel and it started.

Happens with many cars.