1999 Rx300 Transmission

b0bo

An absolute fact!!! You have to flush the RX transmission regularly if you want it to last well beyond 100k, and only use synthetic transmission fluid that meets or exceeds the specs.. I'm not sure about the Transmatic additive. Maybe I'll try it when my transmission starts slipping. Thanks for the info.!!!

and only use synthetic transmission fluid that meets or exceeds the specs..

I have 16 years experience with Mobil 1 synthetic automatic transmission fluid. I have found the synthetics will turn dark too if not changed on a regular schedule.

I think the cheapest and most effective way to preserve the life of the tranny is to drain and refill the 4-5 quarts of Toyota Type T-IV fluid in the pan / differential yourself every 10,000 - 15,000 miles. Even on the 10,000 mile schedule, an owner would end up using no more than 100 quarts of fluid over a 200,000 mile period and the cost of that fluid would be about $400.

A $400 investment in preventive maintenance for 200,000+ miles of life from the transmission ain't bad.

Wait, I am in shock, Monarch you are using Mobil Synthetic? That is unlike you, I thought you used all toyota products.

Toyota brand Dexron automatic transmission fluid was not available for sale to the general public in the late 80's so I used Mobil 1 Dexron automatic transmission fluid instead in a couple of my Toyota's. I used it in the power steering systems of two of my Toyotas too. I was younger and more impressionable back in the 80's and was a sucker for all the advertizing hype about synthetic fluids and oils. I found the Mobil 1 turned dark over time just like conventional auto trans fluid does.